280z Tuning / FPR issue - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Farmerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Carrboro, North Carolina
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
280z Tuning / FPR issue

Hey there, 75 280z here. Stock original engine with fuel injection. Geting really low and rough idle when car first started. It almost doesn’t run until I pull the vacuum hose off the FPR, then it idles much better and warms up quicker. And yesterday I drove it like that with the FPR disconnected and is much faster and smoother. What could be wrong here? I’ve checked all my readings per the ‘fuel injection bible’ and they are all accurate. Also when I unplug the cold start there is no change at early startup. Any tips for items to check would be most helpful thanks.
Farmerz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerz View Post
Hey there, 75 280z here. Stock original engine with fuel injection. Geting really low and rough idle when car first started. It almost doesn’t run until I pull the vacuum hose off the FPR, then it idles much better and warms up quicker. And yesterday I drove it like that with the FPR disconnected and is much faster and smoother. What could be wrong here? I’ve checked all my readings per the ‘fuel injection bible’ and they are all accurate. Also when I unplug the cold start there is no change at early startup. Any tips for items to check would be most helpful thanks.
If it runs better with a vacuum leak (leaving the vacuum hose to the fpr unplugged) that means 2 things (this was my issue that the PO did). #1 you have vacuum leaks to take care of and fairly large ones at that. #2 in order to compensate for that, the PO must have REALLY cranked your idle control screw to even get the car to run to compensate for the huge vacuum leak.

The easiest way to find vacuum leaks is to smoke the engine (don't do the method where you spray starter fluid on your engine unless you want to start a fire). Follow the method outlined in this video (except use a hand-pump from Harbor Freight (~ $7) and a pack of cigarettes to fill the engine with smoke to find the leaks which is much faster and easier to do.

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
chaseincats is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
check fuel pressure see if FPR is working right. IF something is causing a lean run, perhaps disconnecting the FPR vacuum hose (there by increasing pressure at idle) may be compensating for lean ECU by adding fuel from increased pressure. Check water temp sensor at pin 13 and ground of 36 pin ECU connector. See if resistance in spec for temps per FSM.
Dave M is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Farmerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Carrboro, North Carolina
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
check fuel pressure see if FPR is working right. IF something is causing a lean run, perhaps disconnecting the FPR vacuum hose (there by increasing pressure at idle) may be compensating for lean ECU by adding fuel from increased pressure. Check water temp sensor at pin 13 and ground of 36 pin ECU connector. See if resistance in spec for temps per FSM.
Hi Dave, I have distracted for awhile off the Z now. Getting back to this problem. Thanks for your reply! I checked this yesterday using the 'fuel injecton bible' for the 280Z and everything in spec except the AFM readings are off... Could that be causing this poor and long warm up? Also, could it be the Thermotime switch and cold start valve not working?
Farmerz is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Farmerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Carrboro, North Carolina
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vacuum Leak found!

Big vacuum leak at the throttle idle adjustment screw! Anyone have any ideas on how to seal that???
Farmerz is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerz View Post
Big vacuum leak at the throttle idle adjustment screw! Anyone have any ideas on how to seal that???
Unless you somehow find the seals to rebuild it, you can't properly fix it (outside of buying a new one).

Here's and unpopular suggestion tho - if your idle is set, seal it with a bunch of black silicon glue. LET IT DRY FOR A WHILE - you don't want glue being sucked into your engine and you'll be set.

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
chaseincats is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a 280Z FPR be made to work with a 280ZXT? 280Z Driver 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 8 08-06-2005 07:02 PM
Hey 280z/300zx--your adj. fpr thorfin 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 4 08-01-2005 01:19 AM
is NA fpr same as turbo fpr? materchan 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 2 03-22-2005 03:32 AM
Tuning Tuning Tuning........ mylesm 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 1 06-25-2004 01:52 AM
Adj. FPR vs. Rising Rate FPR bastaad525 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 11 06-11-2003 06:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1