Originally Posted by RM247
I recently bought a 76 280z, so I'm now replacing any rubber pieces that need to be replaced. Does anyone know of a store that carries door window scrapers without the chrome trim? My chrome pieces are really clean, so I really don't want to pay $400 for the right and left chrome with the weather strip from vintage rubber if I don't have to. Has anybody replaced just the rubber scrapers?
I just did this. I dreaded doing it for years. The following is how I did it. It took several evenings and a little lost sleep. I am very satisfied w/ the results.
I purchased “Upper door moldings” from ZCar Source.
I removed the stainless moldings from the door by prying and pushing them up beginning at each end w/ a screw driver. They are attached to the door by some friction clips that are a part of the moldings. They will release! Once it starts to lift you can use your fingers to lift it completely off.
Then you need to break them down. I used my coffee table w/ good lighting. I ground down a small screw driver to a point and also ground down some needle nose pliers to fit in the narrow space where staples hold everything together. Reach in where the staples are bent over and straighten them out as much as possible w/ your custom tools. Then take your pointed screw driver to start pulling them up to remove the metal strip which sandwiches the rubber to the stainless molding. Soon you'll have it broken down. Clean you parts and get ready to re-assemble.
I re-drilled all the holes w/ a 1/16” bit. I used a wood block under the metal strip when drilling and carefully re-drilled the stainless molding using light pressure not wanting to hit the bottom. Keep track of which metal strip goes w/ which stainless molding. I lightly glued the new rubber to the stainless w/ gorilla glue. This made it so I wasn't fighting to keep everything together while re-attaching new staples. I let the ends of the rubber run over. I trimmed them later when putting back on the car. When the glue was dry I used some hefty “T” handle straight pins to temporarily hold the metal strip in place and punch holes through the rubber as to puncture a hole for the staples.
Fortunately standard staples from a staple gun are the same width of the existing holes. I think I used 3/8” long. Beginning in the middle start pushing in the staples. Push them through until you can pull then through w/ your needle nose and seat them. Then w/ your pointed screw driver and needle nose bend them over and smash them tight to make a permanent connection. Work your self out to the ends alternating back and forth.
When putting them back on the car use care in trimming the ends. You can't put back what has been cut off. Sneak up on your cuts. Cut a little and try it. Cut a little more and try it. Etc...
I hope this helps. Good luck.