Brake Booster Interchange - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake Booster Interchange

I have a 70 240Z. When going through the brake system I had to use a MC and rear wheel cylinders from the late 71 up because the OE parts aren't available. I will say that the plungers were different on the MC but I read that they'll work and it did. I noticed the other day, when I hit the brake pedal the rpm's went up. That's telling me the booster is leaking. So my question is can I just order one for the 72 model? That way the booster and MC are mated properly.

Stacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Ripper View Post
I have a 70 240Z. When going through the brake system I had to use a MC and rear wheel cylinders from the late 71 up because the OE parts aren't available. I will say that the plungers were different on the MC but I read that they'll work and it did. I noticed the other day, when I hit the brake pedal the rpm's went up. That's telling me the booster is leaking. So my question is can I just order one for the 72 model? That way the booster and MC are mated properly.

Stacey
There are actually 3 different boosters for the 240 z. #1 Up to 8/71 production date is the first style, #2 8/71-6/72 is the second series, #3 7/72-6/78 coupes is used after that. #1 and #2 are interchangeable and use the identical bolt pattern to the firewall. The #3 unit uses a totally different bolt pattern and will not interchange with the earlier models without drilling new holes and reinforcing the firewall accordingly. The #1 unit uses a shorter pushrod tip, I don't remember the length of the #2 unit, and the #3 unit is definitely longer. The tips of the pushrods unscrew and are interchangeable. If you put a 72-78 master cylinder on a series 1 booster, it will not fully engage the master cylinder giving you a weak brake pedal and is dangerous of course. The rear wheel cylinder breakdown is #1 fits up to cars with a pro date of 6/72. From 7/72-7/76 you have to go to the series #2 wheel cylinder. The difference between the two is the position of the hard line or brake bridge screwing into the wheel cylinder. If you have the proper tools, you can rebend the brake bridge to interchange, otherwise you'd have to get the newer brake bridge. Major difference in price between the 2 different models of wheel cylinders. For those of you that don't know, the rear wheel cylinders are identical between left and right sides of their corresponding models, only the hardware is different. That would be the parking brake bracket and the adjuster wheel so as long as you installed the correct hardware, the wheel cylinders themselves will fit either side.
Z man of Washington

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #23 project car FOR SALE. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Excellent information.I installed the second series MC and you are correct on the pedal height/travel. The first generation MC's aren't available. So I need the rod for the second style booster to correct the pedal travel and match the later MC. Would you happen to have one to sell? Also, I found a rebuild kit for the booster, it is $140 delivered. Do you know of a better deal on the kit? I have already retrofitted the second generation wheel cylinders on the rear. I was able to reuse the fittings and bend new lines as you described. Thank you for your help.

Stacey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page