Straighten out inner quarter panel dogleg - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Straighten out inner quarter panel dogleg

I am getting around putting my interior back together and my interior quarter panels or doglegs the “vinyl covered pieces below the quarter window” have warped out of shape. I have tried leaving gallon jugs on them for a few days but doesn’t seem to help. Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Are they damaged from water?

Maybe some heat from a hot air gun would be help full? A little dampness may also help. To much heat will melt the vinyl so use care.

Otherwise just make some new ones from some thin Masonite. Use the old ones for patterns. Then transfer the vinyl.

12/70 build 240Z
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok good ideas. I don’t think it was water I think they just were not flat when I put them into storage and had weight on them from above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
You might need to "overstress" them in the opposite direction of the bows by supporting the edges or somewhere around the bows and allow the milk jugs to push the past straight for a while, then let them relax back towards flat.

zippityzda
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Don't bend the panels when dry or you'll probably break them. The issue is that the wood pulp fibers in the panel came "unglued" when they got damp. It also probably swelled, to some degree. When the panel dried, the glue re-set in the new shape. You need to dampen the fibers to get them to loosen up. Give the back of the panel a light mist from a spray bottle, then put the panel in a large plastic bag. Spray the inside of the bag two or three times, just until it's damp, then close the bag and set it on a flat surface out in the sun for an hour or two. You don't ever want the panel to be dripping wet - just dampen it.

Once the inside of the bag has been nice and steamy for a while and the fibers have relaxed, put a flat board on top to spread out the weight, then gradually add weights until the panel is flat. After a day or two, pull the panel out, put it on warm, flat concrete and put the board and weights back on top until the panel has dried out.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page