LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Camshaft Question

Apologies if this question has been asked a thousand times already but I couldn't find anything on a google search apart from one camshaft install post for these Z cars. My question is - Do I need to replace the springs, rockers, and lash pads in order to install a performance camshaft?

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...on-pics-19939/

In this forum post, the person doesn't specifically say to replace the rockers and I've had a few people say that it's not necessary but the description under the camshaft description page says that, in order for the warranty to be valid, I'd need to replace them. I just don't see a reason to spend the extra $500 on extra arms, springs, and pads if I don't need to. If it is that important, however, I have no problem doing it.

1978 Datsun 280z ~ Longmont, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Apologies if this question has been asked a thousand times already but I couldn't find anything on a google search apart from one camshaft install post for these Z cars. My question is - Do I need to replace the springs, rockers, and lash pads in order to install a performance camshaft?

In this forum post, the person doesn't specifically say to replace the rockers and I've had a few people say that it's not necessary but the description under the camshaft description page says that, in order for the warranty to be valid, I'd need to replace them. I just don't see a reason to spend the extra $500 on extra arms, springs, and pads if I don't need to. If it is that important, however, I have no problem doing it.
Should replace or resurface rockers. The rest depends on the camshaft selection. You might have to also replace the retainers depending on the springs and lash pads.

Of course all used parts have to be serviceable.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I was just gonna go with a stage 2 cam from theZstore. Do you happen to know the average pricing of resurfacing the rockers?

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PEM01/10-2002

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I was just gonna go with a stage 2 cam from theZstore. Do you happen to know the average pricing of resurfacing the rockers?

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PEM01/10-2002
I can only tell you my experience. I had some rocker arms resurfaced by Delta. The surface that contacts the lash pad was not parallel to the camshaft pad surface. I threw them in the trash.

You probably do not want to hear this. I had three schneider camshafts that were all of terrible quality. Some of the base circles had .004 runout and dips in lobe surface.

The 274F shaft is a schneider shaft.

It all depends on what your standards are. Mine are very high.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobs6 View Post
I can only tell you my experience. I had some rocker arms resurfaced by Delta. The surface that contacts the lash pad was not parallel to the camshaft pad surface. I threw them in the trash.

You probably do not want to hear this. I had three schneider camshafts that were all of terrible quality. Some of the base circles had .004 runout and dips in lobe surface.

The 274F shaft is a schneider shaft.

It all depends on what your standards are. Mine are very high.
I appreciate the honesty! I wanted to gauge the quality based on the replies here so this helps quite a bit. Honestly, I'd love to just get an L28ET for a little bit more speed but I've not been able to find one nearby me for years now.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

When replacing a cam in these engines there are some big IFS to consider. IF you're not going to spin the engine over 6500 rpm then you do not necessarily need to replace the springs. IF your engine has not been balanced and your crank pulley has not been rebuilt then you shouldn't ever spin the engine over 6500 rpm anyway, or you can damage the engine. I do sell rebuilt crank pulleys on an exchange basis and the rebuilder uses silicone rubber that won't rot like the stock crank pulleys use. IF your rocker arms are in good shape then they do not need to be replaced or resurfaced. Problem is, most people don't know how to tell if their rockers are damaged or not so it's better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes it's obvious if the rockers are bad, but I've ran across lots of them that don't look bad with the naked eye. Not all rockers can be properly resurfaced, it all depends on how worn that they are. If someone is buying a cam and/or rebuilt rockers from me, the price of these parts automatically entitles them to a rocker arm inspection by me at no extra charge. I don't just look at them, I scrutinize the friction surface under a high powered magnifying glass just to be extra sure as to whether they're good or not.
The friction surface on the rockers is actually curved and should be basically parallel with the cam when the valve is closed like someone else already mentioned. If it's not, then the valve train geometry is the real issue and that HAS to be correct or your engine will eat the rockers and cam. While I'm not ruling it out entirely, chances are that Delta didn't do a bad job on resurfacing a set of rockers UNLESS the rockers were too worn in the first place. I've been using them for 15 years and they've never screwed up so much as 1 rocker arm much less a whole set. But then I don't send them really worn rockers, I throw those in the scrap metal barrel where they belong. Knowing how to scrutinize a rocker arm properly is a key factor, and it's something that can't be explained. I'd have to show someone how to do that. I charge 107.40 plus core charge for a set of refurbished rocker arms. That is the discounted price to zcar.com users, regular price is 155.40. I try to carry them in stock as much as I can anyway.
The reason that MSA and a few other places want you to replace everything or that will eliminate any warranty, is 2 fold. #1 is obvious, they'll generate more money. #2 is that eliminates the chance that someone is putting bad rocker arms on a freshly ground cam which will eat the cam. Or floating valves which of course is not a good thing either. Both reasons make good business sense. I do things differently than a lot of places because I can and that's the way I am. I haven't had any employees since 2009 so that eliminates a lot of potential issues. Everything is handled by me exclusively, backed by over 4 decades of experience. Hope this cleared up a lot of issues for everyone.
Z man of Washington
360-668-2979
[email protected]

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #23 project car FOR SALE. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577

Last edited by zmanofwashington; 04-10-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page