LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'83 280ZX Turbo

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my ZXT, the car sat for about a year and now it wont run... but it starts (starter turns over), it does run when i spray some start pilot in the air inlet, but stops after a few seconds.

Fuel comes to the injector rail, maybe they don't open, could someone tell me what the correct resistance between the pins on the injectors is, also, how i can test the pulse with a multimeter, (voltage etc.)

I read something abouth the ecu... what pin do i have to check for injector puls on the ecu directly?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my ZXT, the car sat for about a year and now it wont run... but it starts (starter turns over), it does run when i spray some start pilot in the air inlet, but stops after a few seconds.

Fuel comes to the injector rail, maybe they don't open, could someone tell me what the correct resistance between the pins on the injectors is, also, how i can test the pulse with a multimeter, (voltage etc.)

I read something abouth the ecu... what pin do i have to check for injector puls on the ecu directly?

Thanks in advance.
get the FSM for your year car here: www.xenonzcar.com
good for troubleshooting. also, download the fuel injection bible supplement.

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Do you know if the injectors are going at all? Do the screwdriver to the ear test and see if you aren't sure.

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
The injectors will (should) have battery voltage to one side (the injector is a coil so it doesn't actually matter which side) at ignition on. You could verify that by pulling the connector and checking both sides of it with your multimeter. The ECU applies the ground connection to the other side when it's active. The pulse it supplies is in the millisecond range - probably impossible to see on a multimeter. You might try a "noid" light to make sure the injector circuit is active...

The injector resistance probably matters very little at this point but you may want to check that there is indeed continuity through the injectors.

Could be that the injectors are stuck closed.

Everything on this engine starts with the CAS signal. You can verify the ECU "sees" that signal by watching the LED inside the ECU as you crank the engine. The LED should light at ignition on and go off soon after you start cranking. If it doesn't turn off, you have a CAS or CAS wiring problem.

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsheen View Post
The injectors will (should) have battery voltage to one side (the injector is a coil so it doesn't actually matter which side) at ignition on. You could verify that by pulling the connector and checking both sides of it with your multimeter. The ECU applies the ground connection to the other side when it's active. The pulse it supplies is in the millisecond range - probably impossible to see on a multimeter. You might try a "noid" light to make sure the injector circuit is active...

The injector resistance probably matters very little at this point but you may want to check that there is indeed continuity through the injectors.

Could be that the injectors are stuck closed.

Everything on this engine starts with the CAS signal. You can verify the ECU "sees" that signal by watching the LED inside the ECU as you crank the engine. The LED should light at ignition on and go off soon after you start cranking. If it doesn't turn off, you have a CAS or CAS wiring problem.
Thanks for the replies, it might be that the injectors are clogged.
Could someone tell me which ones are the best to use as a replacement? And what source to buy from?
I have ECU A18-601 042, is it possible to take injectors for power improvement wo tuning the ECU?

Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
No, if you change the injector properties the ECU would need to be retuned.

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsheen View Post
No, if you change the injector properties the ECU would need to be retuned.
OK thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The injectors + pressure regulator have been replaced and now it spins like a kitten.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
The injectors + pressure regulator have been replaced and now it spins like a kitten.
Spins, or runs?

Those are two different things.

Spins = the engine rotates when the starter is engaged. (It may not start, but it turns over.)

Runs = actually runs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
Spins, or runs?

Those are two different things.

Spins = the engine rotates when the starter is engaged. (It may not start, but it turns over.)

Runs = actually runs.
Perhaps he meant that it purrs like a kitten....and that it runs.

I only see a good outcome when you bring kittens into the conversation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page