Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z

-   70-83 Tech Discussion Forum (https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/)
-   -   '83 280ZX Turbo (https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/418986-83-280zx-turbo.html)

Kraftwerk 02-22-2019 08:49 AM

'83 280ZX Turbo

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my ZXT, the car sat for about a year and now it wont run... but it starts (starter turns over), it does run when i spray some start pilot in the air inlet, but stops after a few seconds.

Fuel comes to the injector rail, maybe they don't open, could someone tell me what the correct resistance between the pins on the injectors is, also, how i can test the pulse with a multimeter, (voltage etc.)

I read something abouth the ecu... what pin do i have to check for injector puls on the ecu directly?

Thanks in advance.

bonfire79 02-22-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraftwerk (Post 2770024)
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my ZXT, the car sat for about a year and now it wont run... but it starts (starter turns over), it does run when i spray some start pilot in the air inlet, but stops after a few seconds.

Fuel comes to the injector rail, maybe they don't open, could someone tell me what the correct resistance between the pins on the injectors is, also, how i can test the pulse with a multimeter, (voltage etc.)

I read something abouth the ecu... what pin do i have to check for injector puls on the ecu directly?

Thanks in advance.

get the FSM for your year car here: www.xenonzcar.com
good for troubleshooting. also, download the fuel injection bible supplement.

Bon

chaseincats 02-22-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Do you know if the injectors are going at all? Do the screwdriver to the ear test and see if you aren't sure.

cgsheen 02-23-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

The injectors will (should) have battery voltage to one side (the injector is a coil so it doesn't actually matter which side) at ignition on. You could verify that by pulling the connector and checking both sides of it with your multimeter. The ECU applies the ground connection to the other side when it's active. The pulse it supplies is in the millisecond range - probably impossible to see on a multimeter. You might try a "noid" light to make sure the injector circuit is active...

The injector resistance probably matters very little at this point but you may want to check that there is indeed continuity through the injectors.

Could be that the injectors are stuck closed.

Everything on this engine starts with the CAS signal. You can verify the ECU "sees" that signal by watching the LED inside the ECU as you crank the engine. The LED should light at ignition on and go off soon after you start cranking. If it doesn't turn off, you have a CAS or CAS wiring problem.

Kraftwerk 02-25-2019 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgsheen (Post 2770050)
The injectors will (should) have battery voltage to one side (the injector is a coil so it doesn't actually matter which side) at ignition on. You could verify that by pulling the connector and checking both sides of it with your multimeter. The ECU applies the ground connection to the other side when it's active. The pulse it supplies is in the millisecond range - probably impossible to see on a multimeter. You might try a "noid" light to make sure the injector circuit is active...

The injector resistance probably matters very little at this point but you may want to check that there is indeed continuity through the injectors.

Could be that the injectors are stuck closed.

Everything on this engine starts with the CAS signal. You can verify the ECU "sees" that signal by watching the LED inside the ECU as you crank the engine. The LED should light at ignition on and go off soon after you start cranking. If it doesn't turn off, you have a CAS or CAS wiring problem.

Thanks for the replies, it might be that the injectors are clogged.
Could someone tell me which ones are the best to use as a replacement? And what source to buy from?
I have ECU A18-601 042, is it possible to take injectors for power improvement wo tuning the ECU?

Thanks for the advice.

cgsheen 02-25-2019 10:49 AM

No, if you change the injector properties the ECU would need to be retuned.

Kraftwerk 02-25-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgsheen (Post 2770064)
No, if you change the injector properties the ECU would need to be retuned.

OK thanks!

Kraftwerk 05-20-2019 05:08 AM

The injectors + pressure regulator have been replaced and now it spins like a kitten.

pilgrim 05-22-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraftwerk (Post 2771550)
The injectors + pressure regulator have been replaced and now it spins like a kitten.

Spins, or runs?

Those are two different things.

Spins = the engine rotates when the starter is engaged. (It may not start, but it turns over.)

Runs = actually runs.

Nightfall 05-25-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilgrim (Post 2771592)
Spins, or runs?

Those are two different things.

Spins = the engine rotates when the starter is engaged. (It may not start, but it turns over.)

Runs = actually runs.

Perhaps he meant that it purrs like a kitten....and that it runs.

I only see a good outcome when you bring kittens into the conversation :smile