KONI Sports for Classic Z's - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
ZCAR.COM Vendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
KONI Sports for Classic Z's

Motorsport has joined forces with KONI to create an exciting new product, one of the most requested upgrades for early Z-Cars we've had, to replace (and improve upon) the long-departed Tokico HP & Illumina Adjustable Struts. Completely new, constructed specifically for 70-83 Datsun 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, & 280ZX, these externally-rebound-adjustable, twin-tube low pressure gas-charged KONI Sport (Yellow) Struts are designed for use on both stock & modified street cars, as well as autocross & track day cars. Built to give a good balance of street ride quality and handling at the softer end of the adjustment range, the KONI Sports can easily be tuned up to nearly double the rebound damping force for more aggressive control needs: simply open the hood or rear hatch and turn the KONI adjuster knob. Not only can you tailor the struts to your local road conditions (and to your taste), you can also quickly and easily change the settings for a blast at a weekend autocross or mountain run, then easily re-set them for a relaxed ride home. Whatever suspension behavior you need is literally at your fingertips. Also, if you race on different tracks and race conditions, the adjustable damping gives you an edge in setting up your car specifically for any track or autocross course. Koni believes they will work great with Eibach Springs, and will be fine with even lower springs, as long as a proper bump stop is used. Let us know if you have any questions, [email protected] & I will get you an answer.

The first shipment, for 70-8/74 240Z & Early 260Z, is expected to arrive in the U.S. this March. We expect to receive the 9/74-78 Late 260Z & 280Z Struts 3-4 weeks later, and then the 79-83 280ZX Struts/Spring Seats 3-4 weeks after that. To reserve your set from the first shipment, the Pre-Sale is on now at https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic20b04

Motorsport! Proud Sponsor of ZCAR.com. It's all about the Z!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
ZCAR.COM Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Koni Checks In

Lee from Koni checked in on another forum, here is a copy of what he had to say:

"Hello all, my name is Lee Grimes and I am the Automotive Product Manager for KONI Shocks. I have been working with Greg and Joseph to get these new Z-car parts to market and help answer some questions. He pointed me to this discussion to maybe give some clarity or assistance.

A bit over a year ago, Motorsport Auto came to KONI to see if we could revive and modernize our offering for the early 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX. Needless to say we jumped at the chance to offer proper products for these important cars. Off and on through the years KONI has offered the traditional red painted KONI Special strut inserts with internal (off the car) adjustment for 240Z through 280ZX. In the late '70s-and early '80s KONI also offered an externally adjustable version for these cars excluding the ZX but they were discontinued by the mid-'80s. Now was time for an update.

With Motorsport Auto as an exclusive partner stepping up to take full production run volume, we developed and tested new externally rebound adjustable (knob adjustable on the car) yellow painted KONI Sport strut inserts for these cars and a externally adjustable rear shock for the ZX. We started with the external adjustables from the 1980s as the launching point and even used the same part numbers this time with the SPORT suffix in the part numbers. We then updated the internals a bit (it was no slouch to begin with back then though) to more modern seals and guide components and set the valving to work well with either factory stock springs (starting baseline adjustment at or near full soft) or performance lowering springs for performance street, autocross, track day, etc. use (starting baseline adjustment about 1/2-3/4 turn up from full soft setting).

Like all KONIs, the adjustment range is about 100% so they are twice as firm at the maximum setting than at the minimum setting. This is a very large range of adjustment so we suggest that you start in the lower end of the range, drive it for a bit to get a feeling for it, and then tune accordingly from there for your ride and handling preference. I think it will be very rare that people will use more than 1 turn (about 50% higher than full soft) for normal use when they are new. Because the adjustment range is so large, it allows you to compensate for wear over extended time, tune it high for an autocross or track day, and then quickly turn it back down for street use. Because the range is so large, it is possible to overdamp the car for your needs and actually make it more harsh and have less grip than needed so do not just turn it way up figuring that "more is always better". Although these could be used for a dedicated track and racing car, their needs and expectations are different and we do have other racing options (e.g. 8610 RACE and 8611 RACE) where street handling and ride quality, high mileage longevity, etc. are no longer important. These new Z-car Sports are targeted to take you from stock Z- car to just shy of all out racing. They carry KONI's limited lifetime warranty against defects and materials to the original purchaser as long as tht person owns the car registered for street use.

Regarding the discussion about bump rubbers, you can use a good condition OE type bump rubber for a Z-car, one of the black urethane ones that Motorsport Auto sells, or the KONI Racing Silastic bump tops made for use on a 22mm piston rod. KONI does not have a specific bump stop length suggestions as different ride heights and springs will determine what length you need. The important part is that you have some bump rubber installed to keep the strut or shock from bottoming out internally which can cause internal damage that will cause loss of function and will not be covered under warranty.

The first production runs of the fronts and rears for the 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z are currently in-transit from KONI in The Netherlands due in mid-March. The 280ZX fronts are in-transit as well but the 280ZX rear shocks are awaiting final production due to to different component sourcing but will be here ASAP.

Please be clear that these were specifically developed only for these Z-car applications and they are not crossovers from some other vehicle. Because these parts are exclusive to Motorsport Auto and no other KONI dealer has access to them, we will not be listing these part numbers on our official KONI websites for North America www.koni-na.com or Europe www.koni.com. If you have any questions, please contact our Technical Staff at [email protected] or 859-586-4100 Option 6 from M-F 8-5 Eastern time."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Initially, I was pretty excited to hear about the new Koni strut inserts for the early Z cars, as I was hopeful they might provide a more comfortable, adjustable, and compliant overall ride in my '72 Z. But, when I contacted MSA, the rep who responded was not encouraging. A number of years ago (but not all that many actual miles ago) I "upgraded" the entire suspension of my car using new parts purchased at MSA. This included Eibach springs, Tokico Illuminas, polyurethane bushings, MSA anti-roll bars, bump steer spacers, and strut tower braces. After installing all this new equipment, I found this setup to be pretty firm, even harsh, for driving on normal roads, even with the Illuminas dialed all the way down to the softest settings. My question is whether or not I could expect more adjustability, and a more compliant ride, if I installed the Konis in place of the Illuminas? Or, am I going to have to ditch the Eibach springs, and maybe the poly bushings, as well? At the time I bought all this equipment, there were virtually no other options for springs, not even OEM. What are your suggestions for achieving a more comfortable ride for my car, which is strictly used for pleasure driving, not competition?

Camano Island,WA
'72 240-Z, 31K miles, orange/black
stock engine, 4-speed
Tokico Illuminas, Eibach springs
MSA anti-roll bars, strut braces, urethane bushings
upgraded front calipers
MSA 3-2 header, SS exhaust,
16 x 7 VTO alloys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 PM

Odds are replacing the poly's with rubber would soften it more than anything. Remember, the OEM springs and struts you were likely riding on were probably super soft and mushy after 40 years of use (assuming they were original or at least old). New OEM would likely ride harsher than what you experienced prior to upgrading. Just my .02.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
ZCAR.COM Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdds71 View Post
...What are your suggestions for achieving a more comfortable ride for my car, which is strictly used for pleasure driving, not competition?
Sorry that we didn't respond to your post earlier. As far as the Tokico Illumina vs the Koni Sport, I'll make another post shortly after this one where the owner of the test drive Z gave his impressions of just that.

As far as what it sounds like you're looking for in a more compliant ride, the biggest factors are likely to be first the springs, then the bushings, and in part the sway bars. The Strut Bar and Bump Steer Spacers are generally not that much of a factor. Certainly the struts are part of it, but trading your expensive Illumina's for some passenger car Monroe or Gabriel struts wouldn't be the best place to start, and I don't believe they warranty their struts with lowering springs. If the Eibach Springs are a bit beyond where you'd prefer the ride to be, there aren't currently any good options beyond Eibach. Any original springs you have or find could possibly swing past where you wish to go. While we have been working towards more spring options here at Motorsport, including near stock or near European springs, they are unfortunately not likely to be anytime soon. Even though Ian will state in the next post that the Koni's in testing do appear to give a wider range of adjustment than the Illumina's, by themselves they aren't likely to get you where you are looking to go. Changing back to rubber bushings would be lots of work, plus they have a much lower length of service than the urethane. Also, if you revert on sway bars, you might not care for how the car rides in the corners any longer.

If you still have your original springs, and they weren't sagging too horribly when you replaced them, that might be something to consider temporarily or as a test. At the least it would help you gauge how much "softer" of a ride you really want, assuming you have not driven the car previously with the stock springs along with all the other upgrades you mentioned already installed. Remember that if they are original springs, they may end up sitting the car lower than the Eibach's currently do, which is approximately 1" below stock ride height. If you try this and they are too low or soft, there is the very light and temporary assistance you could try of rubber coil spring inserts, which can be found at most local auto parts stores, but they aren't very highly recommended.

Perhaps some of the other Z-Enthusiasts on this forum will have some additional or better ideas.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
ZCAR.COM Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Koni Test Drive Z Owner Ian Stewartís Impressions

"Hello everyone, my 260Z was used as the test vehicle for the new Koni struts. The car was the perfect candidate as I had already rebuilt the suspension with new ball joints, Urethane bushings throughout (both front and rear), stiffer springs and Illumina struts. The only change that was made for the testing was replacing the Illuminaís with the Koniís.

The Koniís are an improvement over the Illuminaís in my opinion. You need to get used to not having a way to tell where you are at, as the Koni does not have an indicator, but the adjustment range is much wider and you can really feel the difference when you make a change. I never really noticed differences when I adjusted the Tokicoís, whereas I can definitely feel the difference when I adjust the Koniís. My car is fitted with 160in-lb front and 180in-lb rear springs that lower it about 1.5 inches from stock. Note that these spring rates are similar to most aftermarket spring sets for Z-Cars, at roughly 2X stiffer than stock springs. At full stiff on the Koni adjustment the car is too harsh, but at full soft, it is comfortable (to me) for street use, I like the ride. I have not auto-crossed the car yet, but expect the full stiff setting will work very well." Ian Stewart.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:17 PM

So, Ian's "test" of the new Koni inserts seems encouraging. He began with a Z equipped similarly to mine, i.e. lowered, stiffer springs, poly bushings, and Tokico Illuminas at all four corners. I, too, found the range of adjustment with the Illuminas to be problematic, as I also had difficulty feeling much of a difference from the softest to the firmest settings. Frankly, it is difficult to believe that the wimpy little adjusting screw on the tops of the Illuminas really could be changing much in the way of damping effect down inside the strut, but I'm no engineer. Or, maybe mine were somehow defective, I don't know. But, clearly Ian found the Konis were able to produce a wide range of damping effects, from softest setting to firmest, and that would be a welcome improvement, even for typical road use. Thanks for going to all the trouble to make this comparison. Based on this, I will give some serious consideration to swapping my Illuminas for a set of Konis.

Camano Island,WA
'72 240-Z, 31K miles, orange/black
stock engine, 4-speed
Tokico Illuminas, Eibach springs
MSA anti-roll bars, strut braces, urethane bushings
upgraded front calipers
MSA 3-2 header, SS exhaust,
16 x 7 VTO alloys
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:35 PM
ZCAR.COM Vendor

The first wave of 240Z and early 260Z Sport struts have arrived from Koni. Pre-sale orders have already shipped if you were one of the early birds. Koni has done an outstanding job and we are extremely proud to be teaming up with them to offer such an amazing product. I will update everyone once the batch of late 260Z and 280Z struts arrive as well as for the 280ZX. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pallet02.jpg (215.0 KB, 7 views)

James

Motorsport Auto

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Hey James,

Thanks for the info. I have an 81 280zx that I would like to upgrade to the Koni suspension. Looks like a great setup. I would also like a recommendation on springs to go with them.

Thanks,
Keith

KeithB in Spring, TX
1981 280zx Turbo
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
ZCAR.COM Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Shirl View Post
Hey James,

Thanks for the info. I have an 81 280zx that I would like to upgrade to the Koni suspension. Looks like a great setup. I would also like a recommendation on springs to go with them.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith, hopefully James saw this before he went on vacation, and responded directly. I'll make sure he sees it when he gets back anyway just to be sure.

My $0.02 would be what you might expect, the Eibach springs. Being progressive, they rectify the droopy back ZX situation, but help keep a less harsh ride when not pushing them hard, because of the progressive portion. Does that sound like what you are looking for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page