Cleaning Fuel Injectors - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cleaning Fuel Injectors

I have a '75 Z. I have pulled the fuel injectors to clean them. I have had my car since 1999. I would have assumed the injectors were original but I am thinking they are not now. In looking at the hose from the fuel rail to the injector it says GERMANY on it. I am thinking maybe these are Bosch injectors? They dont seem to have any O rings but down by the outlet of the injector there is fairly wide O ring. Anyone know what these are? Ive included a pic of them.

Next question would be are these good injectors to keep and behold or should I think of something else.

Thanks,
GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Injectors.jpg (58.9 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mr.GT75Z:

Well, the Z was built with a version of the Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection system. However, I suspect the (metric) hose was installed in service.

Beyond that, I'm unclear about just what is your question. Is there some reason you wouldn't use your injectors? The seals are available in the aftermarket. And you're only a couple of searches away for tips on reconditioning the injectors.

Or, if you've money to burn, you could replace them all.

The adventure begins...

--------------------------
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
-------------------------

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
O-ring is present, its that wide band around the mid section of the injector. What you see missing is the pintle cap. One reason being these may have been replaced at some point with non oem injectors.

1975 280Z F54/N47 MSA 6-1 Header 2.5 Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I recall that now, the fuel injection system was a Bosch. I have cleaned three of them so far and they all seem to work fine. I will do the other 3 today. Plus the cold start injector.

My question about the O rings is that I only see the small O rings after pulling the injectors (assuming the small O ring is the one at the bottom (output) of the injector. I do not see any large O rings that came out with the injector.

The diagram in the Service Manual only shows a small O ring (see attached).
My other picture would be my guess where the large O ring would go.

Am I on the right track here?
Thanks,
GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Injector Diagram.jpg (30.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg O rings.jpg (35.4 KB, 19 views)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bificus View Post
O-ring is present, its that wide band around the mid section of the injector. What you see missing is the pintle cap. One reason being these may have been replaced at some point with non oem injectors.
I do not see an O ring around the mid section of the injector. Just at the bottom of the injector (output end). When I pulled the injectors, the only O ring I am seeing is the one at the bottom.

Thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT75Z View Post
I recall that now, the fuel injection system was a Bosch. I have cleaned three of them so far and they all seem to work fine. I will do the other 3 today. Plus the cold start injector.

My question about the O rings is that I only see the small O rings after pulling the injectors (assuming the small O ring is the one at the bottom (output) of the injector. I do not see any large O rings that came out with the injector.

The diagram in the Service Manual only shows a small O ring (see attached).
My other picture would be my guess where the large O ring would go.

Am I on the right track here?
Thanks,
GT
You're on the right track, I'm sure that large O ring is more plastic than rubber at this point. Like I said before, the pintle is different than the oem in 75 ones are. I 'm sure its fine.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, what might the pintle be, I am not familiar with that term.
I guess what I am trying to figure out is do I need to order both small and large O rings.

Thanks
GT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Garage
Its a piece of the fuel injector that directs or affects spray pattern. In your case you have newer ones to they're internal.

https://zcarsource.com/rebuilt-fuel-...80zx-non-turbo

Last edited by bificus; 12-23-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
The smaller ones fit into the manifold and the Pintel or end cap goes in here. The larger one goes around the middle for a snug fit into the plastic holder.

Chattanooga, TN 82 white w/ red na coupe 153,000 83 2+2 330k mi 82 Black/buck 126k mi
White82
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heater valve repair
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 82:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Palladin. That is what made sense to me. However I am trying to get them together now and they will not go together without a lot more force than I am trying now. I have attached a photo of how I am putting them together with the O rings. When I took these apart, there was no large O ring in the middle. But I am trying to put them in as I am putting this back together. I cannot get the silver mounting piece and the O ring on together. The O ring will go on the injector by itself but I can't get the silver mounting piece on over it. If I try to put the O ring in the mounting piece, it fits just fine but then I can not get that on to the injector - again without using a lot more force than I have tried so far. And I have worked at it pretty hard.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5963.jpg (238.9 KB, 11 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page