LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greenie Question

Hey there-
I'm brand new the the forum and probably a really long question but here goes.
1977 280zx was sitting garaged since 1992. I pick it up treated tank, placed in line filter, replaced injectors some rubber that was needed and fluids. Started right up and ran for 6 weeks OK. Didn't pass smog and I was told replace CAT. While stalling with that I was driving it once per week and one day it just lost power. Engine would idle, not respond to throttle, then died. Since then it will start occasionally but once it warms up and idle changes it dies. So I followed the book to trouble shoot the Control Unit. Got no continuity from Water temp sensor and Throttle control switch both at idle and full throttle. Am I on the right path? Should I replace those? I have spark and fuel so feels to me like air is my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Try this http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...ons/index.html

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

BLACK GOLD MAN OF DETROIT 78 280Z 80ZX 10TH ANV 83 ZX 2+2 GL

MOTOR CITY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Could be one or more failed dropping resistors (small, metal box in the engine bay side wall just ahead of the clutch master). Refer to the testing procedures in the Factory Service Manual for your year (I don't believe there was a "ZX" in '77).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
This is 78 fairlady It might have a build date of late 77. http://www.topcarrating.com/1978-nis...atsun-s130.php

BLACK GOLD MAN OF DETROIT 78 280Z 80ZX 10TH ANV 83 ZX 2+2 GL

MOTOR CITY

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Great link...the labeled photos alone are a goldmine for me.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input! Turns out it was fuel pressure. New aftermarket FP and got the CAT replace per recommendation of mechanic friend because not passing COs for CA Smog. After new CAT retest and NO is high. Is that likely just too lean? Does the Carbon Filter have anything to do with that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page