Can't Shake It 2 - Page 3 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Perfecto! That'll make the apartment parking lot look better.

zippityzda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbestone View Post
Perfecto! That'll make the apartment parking lot look better.
No doubt!
And, again, thank you to everyone who contributed thoughts, recommendations and insights that helped get this done. Much obliged.

Tomorrow, weather lady permitting, I'll tackle the battery tray, which is just starting to show some bubbling paint at the front. After that, the Z'll be [visibly] rust-free, above and below (during the valance operation, I took the opportunity to touch-up the few surface rust bits I found lurking on the underside....overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked).

Last edited by freddy333; 10-08-2018 at 06:08 PM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
The fit between the center and ends is better on those than the ones I bought.
So, were these 'textured' from the factory?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
The fit between the center and ends is better on those than the ones I bought.
Actually, I had to do some cutting to the "tabs" on the side valance pieces where they fit behind the center valance to get them to fit together. That's likely why the factory spot-welded the side and center sections together at multiple points. In the completed photo, you can just about see the [stainless steel] screws (backed with fender washers and stainless nylon lock-nuts) I added through the square holes (which fortunately aligned) in the overlapping areas on both the side and center valances. Also, the lower vertical portion of the new center valance that runs between the two side valance pieces is shorter than on the OEM center valance, so it didn't fit around the side pieces. So I had to trim the side "tabs" to reduce their height a bit. Fortunately, the Dremel's cutting wheel made short-work of that.

Quote:
So, were these 'textured' from the factory?
No, it arrived primed. I applied POR-15 to the entire part, which, in theory, should keep it from rusting again. After the POR-15 cured, I applied TexCoat chipguard 4313 (black) to the entire part (chipguard's like undercoat, but it's not as likely as undercoat to allow water ingress). Then, I primed/painted/clear-coated the front/top (the underside had been left unpainted by the factory, with only the undercoating....and the chipguard looks like the OEM undercoating). When it was complete, the valance looked OEM. I kept the rusted original to use as a model and, except for the rust hole and peeled bits (to break the spot-welds), you wouldn't've been able to tell the old and new valances apart. I thought of taking photos of the finish process, but I was in a rush to get it done.
So, in lieu of that, here's a macro I just took of the final finish (as you can see, I've reinstalled the grill as all appears well):
http://triumphpc.com/work/280zx/vala...ncetexture.jpg

Last edited by freddy333; 10-08-2018 at 08:16 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Garage
I was actually asking about the original factory pieces as delivered on the cars. Were they textured?

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I was actually asking about the original factory pieces as delivered on the cars. Were they textured?
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Yes, the original valance parts—as can be seen in the original photos—looked the same (textured....likely with standard undercoat—and painted the body colour on the top/front only). Here's a peek from the back (sorry for the dim view....it's the best I can do at night):
http://triumphpc.com/work/280zx/vala...cetexture2.jpg

Here's a before and after view:
http://triumphpc.com/work/280zx/vala...reandafter.jpg

Last edited by freddy333; 10-08-2018 at 08:44 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:08 PM

Garage
That's interesting to know. I'll keep that in mind if I ever paint mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page