Simplest way to take off the door?? - Page 2 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yessir, chaseincats, I think I'm going to first try a follow-up lithium grease bomb, full coverage, no mercy,since it had "partially" worked so well. And mjmogab, the dremel is tempting too, if we have to go that step. Maybe it could either remove some burrs, smooth out a trouble area or just soften a flat spot. Thanks, Lip Ripper for the drill hole idea. That sounds like a way to avoid the frustration of re-alignment. After all it's not like just lining up two pieces of paper, it's a heavy swangin door. Oh well, whatever it takes to fix, because that gunshot takes away the Z feeling and sort of makes you think you're getting into a decaying old farm tractor with rat's nests and a skunk living in the trunk lol

'78 280Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmogab View Post
If you figure it out please share, I have the same problem and
appears to be the roller. I special ordered a new roller to replace it but haven't had the nerve to try to remove the door. I may take to a professional to assess how to do it. And how easy is it to rep,ace the roller?
If you need a roller I went to mcmaster.com
The "bushing" roller is part number 8491A202
$5.74 plus shipping, I ordered two for that price. The measure is 0.375" ID, 5/8"OD, 3/8" Long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh that's awesome! I need one.

1975 280Z F54/N47 MSA 6-1 Header 2.5 Exhaust
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
That's right, the roller needs to turn. When it doesn't it gets a flat spot rubbed on it that just gets worse (and the "gunshot" gets louder). The temp solution is to lube it up so that arm just slides over the flat spot but it doesn't last unfortunately. The lasting solution is to get that roller replaced and moving but that's not easy to do.

I don't see how a single hole through the hinge will guarantee proper re-alignment though... The plate the hinge bolts to allows motion forward/backward, up/down, and rotation. A single pivot point may lock the forward/backward & up/down but it'll still allow rotation. Maybe the other hinge left in place will compensate for that.

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.3 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page