74 260Z Stalls at red lights - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
74 260Z Stalls at red lights

Hi there,

I have an early model 74 260Z that has been stalling at red lights occasionally after the car is fully warmed up and the choke is off. The car will run fine for miles, then intermittently as I approach a red light and the RPMs drop, rather than settling in at around 700 the tach just keeps going down to zero and a stall. I am able to restart but then have to keep the choke out for a bit again. Eventually I can push the choke in and drive normally again until it happens the next time. Maybe 10 miles, maybe 20, maybe 2!

Also, and I have no idea if this is related. The turn signal will click at a normal speed when I'm driving and have my foot on the gas/RPMs are up above 1500 or so, but as I slow to stop at a light the clicking speed is sometimes several seconds apart... super slow.

I am NOT a gear head so please keep any replies as basic as possible. If you get all geeky on me I'll have to just show it to my mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
voltage is prob dropping at idle, look at the amp meter to see if you are discharging.
that may account for the slower action of the turn signals, fan, light etc... typical of a 240-280z.
does it account for the dying at idle, prob not. Not a carb guy. But if I had to guess, the choke I assume richens up the fuel and maybe opens the throttle some. So could be the mix is lean or the idle is set too low. Gas is not the same as it was back when the car was new so perhaps you are getting some kind of vapor lock due to under the hood temps. What are your local outside temps? does the happen when its cold out? how does the engine temp look on the gauge?

Last edited by Dave M; 07-29-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Is it auto trans.

BLACK GOLD MAN OF DETROIT 78 280Z 80ZX 10TH ANV 83 ZX 2+2 GL

MOTOR CITY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
If I remember right, there's a vacuum operated dookickey on the flattop carbed cars (73 and 74) that holds the throttle open slightly when decelerating. It operated directly on the linkage....find it and check the vacuum lines going to it

73 240Z very orange
Dual Weber DGV's, header and 2.5 exhaust
Electronic dizzy with G.M. HEI module
Tokico Struts/Springs, Full Poly U bushings
Daily driver, all work done by me
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theghosttanker View Post
If I remember right, there's a vacuum operated dookickey on the flattop carbed cars (73 and 74) that holds the throttle open slightly when decelerating. It operated directly on the linkage....find it and check the vacuum lines going to it
Thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
Is it auto trans.
It is 4 speed manual.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
voltage is prob dropping at idle, look at the amp meter to see if you are discharging.
that may account for the slower action of the turn signals, fan, light etc... typical of a 240-280z.
does it account for the dying at idle, prob not. Not a carb guy. But if I had to guess, the choke I assume richens up the fuel and maybe opens the throttle some. So could be the mix is lean or the idle is set too low. Gas is not the same as it was back when the car was new so perhaps you are getting some kind of vapor lock due to under the hood temps. What are your local outside temps? does the happen when its cold out? how does the engine temp look on the gauge?
Thanks Dave, I'll check the temps next time it happens and reply... both the engine and outside temps. Also, are you saying that it's normal for the voltage drop or that perhaps some drop is normal but I may be experiencing something out of the ordinary since the signal nearly stops? I appreciate your input! JS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
voltage drop is normal at idle when loaded with say AC fan and light. Amp meter will tell you. With AC off and lights off alt should be able to keep up with demand even at idle. Amp meter will confirm.

check batter with load test, check voltage output from alt with hand held volt meter, check at idle and above 1500 rpm.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
voltage drop is normal at idle when loaded with say AC fan and light. Amp meter will tell you. With AC off and lights off alt should be able to keep up with demand even at idle. Amp meter will confirm.

check batter with load test, check voltage output from alt with hand held volt meter, check at idle and above 1500 rpm.
Ok and thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page