water **** lever push/pull wire bent - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
water **** lever push/pull wire bent

Hey all --

The Hot-Cold lever in my 1976 280Z was stuck on HOT. I investigated and found teh wire cable for the lever was bent. i pulled it back to COLD, but since teh wire is not bent i can't use this control because it will get stuck in HOT again.

IS there any way to repair or replace this cable without removing the dash? it seems to be in a very inaccessible spot.

[i]1976 280 Z coupe (California), 5 speed from a 1980 280zx, front sway bar and a ABS steering coupler. tokico illumina shocks and springs. front and rear camber adjustement kits, zspecialties 125A alternator, some urethane, other odds and ends... --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsey View Post
Hey all --

The Hot-Cold lever in my 1976 280Z was stuck on HOT. I investigated and found teh wire cable for the lever was bent. i pulled it back to COLD, but since teh wire is not bent i can't use this control because it will get stuck in HOT again.

IS there any way to repair or replace this cable without removing the dash? it seems to be in a very inaccessible spot.
Looks like teh forum software censors the word ckoc in water ****.

[i]1976 280 Z coupe (California), 5 speed from a 1980 280zx, front sway bar and a ABS steering coupler. tokico illumina shocks and springs. front and rear camber adjustement kits, zspecialties 125A alternator, some urethane, other odds and ends... --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
You can remove the front panel and get to it. No need to remove the dash. The best repair is to buy a length of piano wire from a hardware store and bend it to match what is there. Once the wire bends it will it will probably bend again even if you straighten it. Make sure that you get the direction of the bends right too.

But find out why it bent in the first place. Could be that the water caulk is stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
It probably bent due to a jammed water c_ck. During the previous ownership of my Z, the water c_ck was seized and the owner likely forced the heater control cable, resulting in its breaking. I purchased some music wire and a wire bending tool on Amazon, and I’ll try to fabricate a new control cable. Probably in the next week or two. I’ll try to report back on the outcome of this effort.

Jim
1975 280Z, Metallic Green
Long Gone: 1975 and 1978 280Zs, both Metallic Brown

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJim View Post
It probably bent due to a jammed water c_ck. During the previous ownership of my Z, the water c_ck was seized and the owner likely forced the heater control cable, resulting in its breaking. I purchased some music wire and a wire bending tool on Amazon, and Iíll try to fabricate a new control cable. Probably in the next week or two. Iíll try to report back on the outcome of this effort.
How can you tell if teh water c_ck is jammed, and what is the fix?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Garage
The lever on the valve that the cable controls won’t move, so the valve stays stuck in whatever position it was in. I just replaced mine with a new valve. I think it’s possible to work it free, maybe using a penetrating oil. But, as it appears that the heater system leaked (visible corrosion in this part of the cabin), I decided that replacement seemed like a better long-term solution for me.

Jim

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsey View Post
How can you tell if teh water c_ck is jammed, and what is the fix?
You can see it under the passenger side dash, at the firewall. Reach up there and move the lever.

The cable can get stuck in the sheath also. Dries out and a bit of rust.

Once you get in to it you'll realize that the coolant hoses are all dried out and 40 years old, there might be some minor leakage happening, the vacuum hoses might be split. You're on the edge of a big project.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
In my case, I'm well over the edge!

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page