Steering rack "play" options - Page 2 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseincats View Post
Thanks for the info Dave!

Regarding the bushings, during the brief amount of time the car was up on the lift the only bushings I saw that looked "wrong" were the bushings for the front sway bar. Take a look at these pics (https://imgur.com/a/XIAEx), you can see the metal of the mounting rod between the bushings. The sway bar looked like it was being pulled up and wasn't parallel with the ground, which is why the bushings look the way they do. Is this how it's supposed to be?

-chase
You have to look at the sway bar bushing with the car on the ground, the sway bar will pull always like shown with the wheels hanging down. In fact its kind of hard to install the sway bar with the wheels hanging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
You have to look at the sway bar bushing with the car on the ground, the sway bar will pull always like shown with the wheels hanging down. In fact its kind of hard to install the sway bar with the wheels hanging.
Ah ok, that makes a lot of sense, nevermind

I'll get it on the jacks this week and report back

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Alright, so I jacked it up and wiggled both wheels separately from 12 and 6 oclock and tried to rock them. Neither were movable, so that would mean the wheel bearing is good then, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
That's what I would think, chaseincats.

Jim
1975 280Z, Metallic Green
Long Gone: 1975 and 1978 280Zs, both Metallic Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
On the rack you can confirm the bushings are ok they allow some movement so just make sure they look ok. other than that again a decent shop should be able to spot a bad tie rod/ball joint issue if that is the case. I just lock the steering wheel and push pull at 9 and 3 and look for excessive play, should be very little. Listen for clunking etc...

here is a video of my rack with new OE bushings. this is with the car on the ground (not jacked up) if you look closely you can see how much the tires are turning. The play seems excessive but I don't have any problems with steering. I do sometimes have a tiny bit of vibration at certain speeds but its not constant and not always, I assume its tires getting in and out of sync. I know I have run out on the rims, but to me its not excessive.
I'd move on to looking at the steering rack.

Jim

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJim View Post
I'd move on to looking at the steering rack.
Do you recommend any test methods or is it just 'get a jack on both sides, get under, shake it and see whats lose? ...actually that sounds pretty good lol

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:19 PM

Garage
No, unfortunately I don't have any recommended test method. Hopefully Dave or one of the other folks here that have experience with the steering rack will weigh in.

Jim

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
I just look for play by seeing if there is any delay in movement of the steering wheel and deflection in the tires, this is with car on the ground. Also I have used the steering wheel lock with the car up and tried moving the tires and yes looking for any slop in the various parts like the tie rods etc...I remember the family 260z brand new in 1974, would wheel shake at times. it was ultimately resolved by going back to the stock steel rims.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I just look for play by seeing if there is any delay in movement of the steering wheel and deflection in the tires, this is with car on the ground. Also I have used the steering wheel lock with the car up and tried moving the tires and yes looking for any slop in the various parts like the tie rods etc...I remember the family 260z brand new in 1974, would wheel shake at times. it was ultimately resolved by going back to the stock steel rims.
Alright, I'll give it a shot, thanks guys! Out of curiosity, a bunch of the replacement racks on amazon/ebay say theirs fits 1974-1977 year cars. Did 1978 have a different system or is that an error on their part?

example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Manual-...tamkro&vxp=mtr

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Anybody with a '78 try one of these things?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page