79 280zx - Removing Stock Side Skirt Things - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
79 280zx - Removing Stock Side Skirt Things

I don't know what to call them but the rocker panels on my car have little side skirts on them, I added a pic to show where I mean. I have a rusty one and rather than repair it, I honestly think it'd look better with them chopped off. Even if I did try to repair it I'd need to chop it off anyways and weld a new one on. I'm quite sure I don't have rust outside of this area as I've been inspecting it so removing it should help prevent spread.

Has anyone done this? If so, what have you used? I was thinking an angle grinder or a jig would work but I'm really not sure, I'm still looking into it as I haven't done much body work before other than minor rust repair, dent repair, and fender rolling.

I don't think it wouldn't impact the car at all, as it's just a small metal bar that seems to come out, almost like jack points on modern cars. I lift all my cars by the frame, so removing it wouldn't change that.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (144.4 KB, 33 views)

• 1979 280ZX 5 Speed - Gold Metallic
  • Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Are you talking about the pinch welds that are where you jack your car up?

Jim
1975 280Z, Metallic Green
Long Gone: 1975 and 1978 280Zs, both Metallic Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJim View Post
Are you talking about the pinch welds that are where you jack your car up?
Yes, that's the name I was looking for. I don't jack my car up with them though, they're too flimsy.

• Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
They hold the inside and outside sections of the rocker panel together.

zippityzda
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbestone View Post
They hold the inside and outside sections of the rocker panel together.
Then I must be thinking of something else. It's not structurally integral for anything, so they may be aftermarket. The history on this car is a little iffy and I'm still trying to learn more about it since nowhere has history of it's vin.

I'll try to go out and get a picture of what I mean tomorrow.

• Stock.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchMountain View Post
Then I must be thinking of something else. It's not structurally integral for anything, so they may be aftermarket. The history on this car is a little iffy and I'm still trying to learn more about it since nowhere has history of it's vin.

I'll try to go out and get a picture of what I mean tomorrow.
Are they perfectly smooth, like you might expect an add-on to be, or are there some wrinkles and not perfectly straight bottom edges?
If you look at them from the bottom (or with a mirror), do you see more than one layer of metal on the "fin"?

zippityzda
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Are you talking about those aluminum jobbies with the repeated lines that make it look like a heat sink? Those are usually pop riveted on. If you are talking about the very bottom ridge of metal that hangs down and is kind of beat up looking, that is part of the join of the frame/rocker panel.

Those always bothered me on the ZX's because they looked bad even when the cars were brand new. The solution for my '83 was that I glued about a 1" (+/-) strip of flat rubber trim. I have no idea where I found it, but it was kind of a plastic and rubber blend and had a bit of a sheen. Come detail day I would hit it with armorall and it really trimmed out the bottom of the Z. Again, it was flat and glued to the car with weatherstrip glue and held no water.

HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10689233-1979-datsun-280zx-std-c.jpg (55.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Route66; 03-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 03:03 PM

And the exterior rocker panel is part of the frame around the floor area.

zippityzda
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
Are you talking about those aluminum jobbies with the repeated lines that make it look like a heat sink? Those are usually pop riveted on. If you are talking about the very bottom ridge of metal that hangs down and is kind of beat up looking, that is part of the join of the frame/rocker panel.

Those always bothered me on the ZX's because they looked bad even when the cars were brand new. The solution for my '83 was that I glued about a 1" (+/-) strip of flat rubber trim. I have no idea where I found it, but it was kind of a plastic and rubber blend and had a bit of a sheen. Come detail day I would hit it with armorall and it really trimmed out the bottom of the Z. Again, it was flat and glued to the car with weatherstrip glue and held no water.

HTH
Mine doesn't have those, either they were removed or they didn't come on mine, I'm not sure. I've determined they're probably aftermarket as every single picture I look at doesn't have them. Also, the pinch welds are behind this flap/side skirt thing. I'm really not sure what the point of them are but they may have been something similar to your rubber strip idea by a previous owner but with some sort of cheap metal? I might have to try your rubber strip idea. I've done it before as a replacement for a cupra R lip for Audi's and know it actually can look good. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbestone View Post
And the exterior rocker panel is part of the frame around the floor area.
Yes, this is simply attached to the rocker panel, the pinch welds are behind it. This has no structural integrity as half of one is already falling off. See my reply above.

Thanks for the help guys, it was really hard to describe but I believe I can simply remove them. I'll look into it a little more and see if I can get in contact with the previous owner again. Unfortunately I still don't have pictures but once midterms are over I could post some in here if anyone's interested.

• Stock.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
I have a set of these rocker trims if you want to add them to your ZX.
Jamal

70 240Z #6920, 73 C110 Kenmeri Coupe #851, 82 280ZXT 2+2 Auto
Phoenix AZ....KEEP THEM RUNNING!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page