240/260z Electric Motor Conversion - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
240/260z Electric Motor Conversion

I'm sure this will be heresy for some: has anyone considered, or done a conversion to electric of a 240z/260z?

I've googled and seen one converted to a electric drag racer but nothing recently that is a bit more for general driving.

I've seen quite a few Porsche converted sympathetically. With no mods, such that is would support being converted back to gas in the future if so desired. On the surface look like a regular car.

As the battery technology improves, controller and motor tech advances, it could be an interesting approach to improving performance.

an Australian in Boston, MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta View Post
I'm sure this will be heresy for some: has anyone considered, or done a conversion to electric of a 240z/260z?

I've googled and seen one converted to a electric drag racer but nothing recently that is a bit more for general driving.

I've seen quite a few Porsche converted sympathetically. With no mods, such that is would support being converted back to gas in the future if so desired. On the surface look like a regular car.

As the battery technology improves, controller and motor tech advances, it could be an interesting approach to improving performance.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...404226874.html

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Take a look at these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tor+conversion

Expect to spend some $$$. It should be nice when completed.

12/70 build 240Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 PM

Converting old gas cars to electric, even with current (pun?) technology, is likely to offer no more improvement in performance than did converting buggies to gas power in the late 19th century, and for the same reasons: the old platforms are not suitable for radically different technologies.

Mr.Chaseincats' link offers very clear evidence of this truth: heavier, slower, and with a range that can only be called laughable. $28thou for a conversation piece garage doorstop.

I love the idea of electric cars, but as modern experience teaches us, to get it right, you have to design the car around the requirements of the power system, something that cannot be duplicated in a converted car. A cursury examination of any one of successful EVs will confirm this reality.

--------------------------
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
-------------------------

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensys View Post
Converting old gas cars to electric, even with current (pun?) technology, is likely to offer no more improvement in performance than did converting buggies to gas power in the late 19th century, and for the same reasons: the old platforms are not suitable for radically different technologies.

Mr.Chaseincats' link offers very clear evidence of this truth: heavier, slower, and with a range that can only be called laughable. $28thou for a conversation piece garage doorstop.

I love the idea of electric cars, but as modern experience teaches us, to get it right, you have to design the car around the requirements of the power system, something that cannot be duplicated in a converted car. A cursury examination of any one of successful EVs will confirm this reality.
I agree the example from Craigslist is pretty poor. It is using lead acid batteries, it is using quite old tech. The range is terrible. Technology is moving forward at an incredible speed. Energy density of batteries is also increasing rapidly.
I would not expect a conversion to be able to match all the mod cons of a new platform such as a Tesla or bolt or any other latest gen electric.
However, I do think we will see more of electric restomods in the future. An interesting mix of old technology intersecting with the new. Particularly as the price point for performance comes down.

an Australian in Boston, MA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page