4 Barrel Conversion - Throttle won't reach WOT - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 4 Barrel Conversion - Throttle won't reach WOT

I have a 240z with an Arizona Z Car 4 barrel conversion manifold and until recently I was suffering with an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carburetor that the previous owner installed. After months of sunken floats, broken accelerator pumps, metering rods and running like absolute garbage in general I decided to buy the recommended Holley 390 cfm. I installed the new holley just fine but my main issue now is that the throttle doesn't seem to have enough travel in order to open the secondaries and reach WOT. The previous edelbrock had no problem reaching full throttle with the same cable though. I thought that maybe the cable was too long and had too much slack so I spent WAY too long trying to trim the cable and feed the frayed wires back into the little metal end piece (what a nightmare) only to find out that it didn't do anything. The only other post I could find with the same issue as me was this one but I found it to be a little vague. They mentioned creating a spacer to give the pedal more travel but they didn't go over the process of making one or even pointing out where it goes! From what I saw they basically added a shim behind the pedal mount but they didn't mention how thick to make it. Anyway i'm attaching a video of the problem too just in case. I'm grateful for any tips

Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0e...ew?usp=sharing

1973 Datsun 240z: L28 w/ P90 head, 600 cfm edelbrock 1406 on Arizona Z Car manifold, 6-1 headers, painted purple by PO along with a lot of other questionable modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Measure the distance traveled and note the distance the throttle plate needs to go and make a shim the difference in those 2 measurements and it should compensate for the difference.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan gurwell View Post
Measure the distance traveled and note the distance the throttle plate needs to go and make a shim the difference in those 2 measurements and it should compensate for the difference.
I'm sorry I don't think i'm understanding this correctly... I don't have access to the car at the moment, but hypothetically if the throttle had already moved say 4 inches and the remaining distance it needed to travel was another 1.5 inches, by subtracting those two I would end up with a 2.5 inch spacer and that doesn't exactly seem right. Am I taking the wrong measurements into consideration? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Move the ball mount to a different position on the throttle lever...one closer to the shaft
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzagi1 View Post
Move the ball mount to a different position on the throttle lever...one closer to the shaft
I saw this recommended somewhere as well. I'll give it a shot when I get the chance. Thanks!

1973 Datsun 240z: L28 w/ P90 head, 600 cfm edelbrock 1406 on Arizona Z Car manifold, 6-1 headers, painted purple by PO along with a lot of other questionable modifications
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: I can't figure out how to edit my original post (i'm assuming I can't because of a 30 day rule or something) but I felt I should update the thread for people experiencing the same issue. Tzagi's method of moving the ball mount to a hole closer to the shaft helped but it still wasn't perfect. I ended up buying the throttle bracket shown on the second picture on this page and bought a new throttle cable too because mine was mangled beyond repair. With these installed I have full range of the throttle and its SO much smoother than the old setup. It took me a while to figure out the item number of the bracket so i'll leave links to the bracket and cable below. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page