User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Door lock confusion

Hi all, I just acquired a 240z a week ago and already have notebooks full of questions. I've rummaged through quite a few forums but there are still a few questions that have gone unanswered.

Nobody seems to have had a similar experience to mine regarding door locks. I can lock and unlock the doors with the interior knobs but I can't use a key from the outside to lock or unlock. I'm assuming I have the correct key because the key enters the lock all the way while the other keys that came with the car don't fit in nearly as well. If anyone has experienced a similar situation please let me know. I'm not sure if this makes a difference but the doors don't sit completely flush with the body when closed. They latch, are secured, but feel squishy if pushed on, they just poke out a little bit. (I attatched a picture for reference)

Thank you for any insight you guys have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161224_122931008.jpg (92.3 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Regarding keys, they may be the correct key type but the may not match your tumblers. You haven't said much of the history of your car and maybe you don't know it. Can you still contact the previous owner and ask about the keys?

The tumblers have a code on them. A locksmith can cut you new keys based on the code. You will have to pull the door cards and remove the tumblers. This is not a tough job.

Your doors are likely out of adjustment. There is some leeway to adjust the striker/latch on the door post. It could also be the striker is just worn out. New ones can be obtained without too much problem.

Scott
Tucson, Arizona

9/74 260Z VIN RLS30 060061
Restored!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg3yrs View Post
Regarding keys, they may be the correct key type but the may not match your tumblers. You haven't said much of the history of your car and maybe you don't know it. Can you still contact the previous owner and ask about the keys?

The tumblers have a code on them. A locksmith can cut you new keys based on the code. You will have to pull the door cards and remove the tumblers. This is not a tough job.

Your doors are likely out of adjustment. There is some leeway to adjust the striker/latch on the door post. It could also be the striker is just worn out. New ones can be obtained without too much problem.
When I bought the car, the previous owner stated he never locked the car because he lived in a "good area". I suppose i'll just pull one of the tumblers and have a key cut. As for the striker adjustment i'll look into that. Thanks for the help beg3yrs! Appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
FYI-when new ONE key opened everything.

If your ignition lock opens your hatch and glovebox....make the doors match it and not vice Versace!

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
FYI-when new ONE key opened everything.

If your ignition lock opens your hatch and glovebox....make the doors match it and not vice Versace!
Sounds like some expensive upholstery there.

zippityzda
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Autocorrect has become pervasively invasive!

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Chances are....
The po installed a set of aftermarket (made in Thailand) rubbers
There is no good cure... and it will prevent the door from latching fully.
but that does not explain why you cannot lock it using the keys...other then the keys/cylinders are worn badly.
Back to basics time.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Have you tried removing the lock cylinder from the door and seeing if the key will turn them?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:51 AM

It can be difficult to determine which type of lock you have at home, but it's important to get it right - or you could be at risk of invalidating your home insurance policy.A multi-point locking system bolts the door into the frame and locks at multiple points at the turn of a key, giving a high level of security.It's common in modern houses as you'll usually find this type of lock on UPVC and composite doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page