Headlight conversion Ang relay. - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Headlight conversion Ang relay.

I remember about a year back that there was a topic about converting the headlights to HIDs and the need for a relay. I tried searching for it and went about 10 page deep, but can't seem to find it, or totally missed it. If anyone has a link on the proper way to do the relays for the headlights that would be great.

Also is necessary to do the relay if getting HIDs? As the ballast charges up before firing up the lights do won't it be not add big a draw on power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/33-2071

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A great place to search for answers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- the cheap source for FSMs

- Look up S30 part numbers

- My blog with some tech tips and pictures of my car-loving life

- Pictures from various car shows

- Registration is open.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
HID's are last year's technology! LED conversions are where it's at, now. They draw far less current than anything else; you won't need to use a relay, the stock wiring will be plenty.

73 240Z very orange
Dual Weber DGV's, header and 2.5 exhaust
Electronic dizzy with G.M. HEI module
Tokico Struts/Springs, Full Poly U bushings
Daily driver, all work done by me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghosttanker View Post
HID's are last year's technology! LED conversions are where it's at, now. They draw far less current than anything else; you won't need to use a relay, the stock wiring will be plenty.
Relays are still a good idea for two reasons.
1. A lot of headlight switches are dirty from 40+ years of use, dropping the voltage.
2. The Z car headlight circuit has one positive source and two paths to ground, selected by the high/low beam switch. Likely the LED headlights are designed for the positive to be switched with a common ground.

- Registration is open.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 02:11 PM

I haven't used an LED system on my z car but I did on my vintage harley that runs the headlights without any relay, all power carried by the switch. Wiring was totally inadequate for a modern high power system but with an LED system all problems went away without any further mods needed. I would run the LED lights first and see if you're happy with them BEFORE you start cutting into the stock harness. LED's draw about 1/6 the current of other types of bulbs; if your wiring is in decent shape and your switch working ok then you certainly aren't going to need anything else.

73 240Z very orange
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 02:35 PM

There is no need to cut wires if you don't want to. I did it by drilling two small holes in my headlight bucket. If the OP has a 73 or earlier, MSA sells a plug and play kit.

As for the Harley, does it switch the 12VDC+ or ground side of the circuit? I'm thinking it's the 12VDC+ that is being switched.

Here is a thread from ClassicZCars from a few years back on the subject: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/t...dlamps/?page=1

- Registration is open.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 AM
ZCAR.COM Vendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
That's not entirely true, and relays should still typically be used to prevent any possibility of flickering. It's never a bad idea to have a relay installed for added protection.

While LED technology has improved significantly over the past few years, HID lighting will still produce more overall lumen output and a better output pattern (reflector housings will have more glare with either option). Unless you are converting to a complete LED assembly, a drop-in LED replacement bulb is going to produce a poor quality output pattern and throw light everywhere. In most cases, installing an LED bulb into your reflector style housing will actually be a significant decrease in usable output due to the nature of the factory optics.

Worse yet, most vendors selling these common overseas LED low-beams make claims like 6,000 lumens, 10,000 lumens etc etc...completely false and unfair to the consumer. When purchasing LED lighting, make sure you are getting a measurement, not a "calculated" or "estimated" amount.

Nick C.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 PM

I'm not an engineer or a vendor...I'm just a guy who had excellent results with an LED system on a totally outdated wiring system, without using any relay whatsoever. No flickering, far better visibility than the stock sealed beam, and equal visibility (as far as I could tell) to a 100 watt aftermarket (not street legal, technically speaking)halogen bulb, which worked fine except the stock headlight switch would fail from the excessive load.

73 240Z very orange
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM
ZCAR.COM Vendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not an engineer or a vendor...I'm just a guy who had excellent results with an LED system on a totally outdated wiring system, without using any relay whatsoever. No flickering, far better visibility than the stock sealed beam, and equal visibility (as far as I could tell) to a 100 watt aftermarket (not street legal, technically speaking)halogen bulb, which worked fine except the stock headlight switch would fail from the excessive load.
Have you posted any output shots yet?

Here's an example with our full LED assembly installed:

They have a solid hotspot, which means light is thrown farther down the road, and a nice cutoff pattern so you aren't blinding other drivers on the road. LED bulb replacements have a wide output pattern, but they lack a proper hotspot, which means you won't be able to see far.

Nick C.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:56 PM

For most of the S30 and S130 owners, they will probably be using 7 inch LED headlights like what is found for Jeep owners instead just replacing an H4 bulb in a housing with a reflector. That is what I did on my 260Z.

- Registration is open.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page