Where to begin on 82' 280zx? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where to begin on 82' 280zx?

Hello!

I picked up a 1982 280zx over the weekend. It has been sitting in a garage for about 6 years with the occasional start up. It still does run, but I don't want to keep running it on old fluids so I am going to be replacing the oil and doing a coolant flush. I will also be changing out the brakes here soon after. I want to replace all switches and the dashboard and console soon, too. Other than that, I am looking for some direction from experienced individuals. What else should I do?

My goal is to do bolt ons to the current engine, L28E, and build up on another engine then drop it in. I ultimately want to get right around 400HP. I may add a turbo in the future to get to that number, but not at the moment. What are the recommendations from you all? What are some things I should do and look into do to ensure this car lasts me a good while, other than regular maintenance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Why would you change switches and other components that function? If the dashboard is badly deteriorated, I sure understand changing it, but you can transfer components from old to new - assuming you find a reconditioned dash. Pulling the dash is only about a 90-minute job.

Your attention needs to go to the chassis looking for rust, the body to spot any problems, and to the rubber parts in the suspension. Get the car driving right and safe before playing HP games. With that much HP, you will need an absolutely solid chassis and driveline for safety.

Your easiest path might be to drop a small-block Chevy into it if you really want to go that direction. It has been done for years. Of course, that will also provide a convenient way to dispose of $10,000-$20,000 on upgrades while you're at it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The dash is in pretty rough shape. A lot of the switches don't work or barely work. Not sure where or how the guy I bought it from came into it, but he focused more on the exterior, which is cool with me, and left the interior out completely. I put the car on some ramps and crawled underneath with a maglite and only saw surface rust that I will be taking care of. I am not worried about playing with HP until the car is in solid shape. I don't want to sink money into it until I know it can handle the horsepower. The swap wouldn't happen for atleast a year +.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
If the car has sat for 6 years you may want to drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas in it. you should also flush the brake system and the clutch as the fluid absorbs water.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8gary View Post
If the car has sat for 6 years you may want to drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas in it. you should also flush the brake system and the clutch as the fluid absorbs water.

Thanks for that! I never even thought about that! Those will now be placed in priority with engine oil!

1982 280zx Yellow (for now)
Fayetteville, NC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Remember to add a clear fuel filter inline before the fuel pump. When you drain the gas check to see if there are any rust flakes.. If so you may want to get the tank cleaned. Also you should replace all the fuel injection rubber, including the ones from the fuel rail to the injectors..

az240z
Taken from another: The more I touch the more I break!!!

1973 240z Long gone and then wrecked
1975 280z auto to manuel sold
1976 280z sold
1985 300zx sold
1986 300zx 78K miles wrecked
1978 280z Body done trying to rest Sold
1973 240z 3 liter Sold
Z less for now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:52 PM
ZCAR.COM Vendor

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unrelated side note, post some pictures of it for us when you get a chance

Congrats on the new project!

Nick C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Unrelated side note, post some pictures of it for us when you get a chance

Congrats on the new project!

Nick C.
I will pull it out of the garage today and post some pictures!

And thanks ARZ! I am trying to get a buddy to let me put it on one of his lifts so I can thoroughly inspect it and knock off that surface rust!

1982 280zx Yellow (for now)
Fayetteville, NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page