'83 Auto climate control woes - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List
black gold man, palladin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'83 Auto climate control woes

Hey guys and gals,
the problem I'm having is specifically with the Auto climate control fan turning on. This is a car I recently picked up, but when I did the fan worked just fine, then all of the sudden it quit working. I know that the fan itself works, I wired it directly, however, it is not getting power to turn on. I checked the sensor that goes to the dash to see if there was any obstruction that may be affecting system operation, but it is clean. the one on the front bumper is...there. Fuses are good, as are the fusible links, passenger side for both. What am I missing? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys

Alex

Any Car Can Get You Where You Want To Go, A Special One Will Get You ther With A Smile On Your Face. Life Is A Journey, Enjoy The Ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
In addition, when I move the levers on the control panel everything seems to be working. I can hear the valves moving, the relay click, and the compressor clutch engage, so it seems to be limited to the fan. I also jumped the wires on the water temp sensor/

Any Car Can Get You Where You Want To Go, A Special One Will Get You ther With A Smile On Your Face. Life Is A Journey, Enjoy The Ride.

Last edited by SupSay Z; 08-16-2015 at 03:38 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
I can't be of much help at the moment. But when I got my black Z, I had to direct wire the fan to get it to work transiting Arizona. Seems like it would only go out if hot, LOL.

That said, there was also a switch inside the control unit of my white Z that had to be cleaned. I had to drill out the two rivots to get into the switch contacts and used small cotter pins to reattach it. It was accessed while on the car, though it was difficult. I cant remember much more.

This car suffers from dirty contacts. You have to get inside the switch and clean the contacts. Maybe you might be successful with spray cleaner.

Chattanooga, TN 82 white w/ red na coupe 153,000 83 2+2 330k mi 82 Black/buck 126k mi
White82
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heater valve repair
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 82:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palladin View Post
I can't be of much help at the moment. But when I got my black Z, I had to direct wire the fan to get it to work transiting Arizona. Seems like it would only go out if hot, LOL.

That said, there was also a switch inside the control unit of my white Z that had to be cleaned. I had to drill out the two rivots to get into the switch contacts and used small cotter pins to reattach it. It was accessed while on the car, though it was difficult. I cant remember much more.

This car suffers from dirty contacts. You have to get inside the switch and clean the contacts. Maybe you might be successful with spray cleaner.
Thanks palladin. I have not yet found the culprit, checking/cleaning the contacts is next on the list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page