78Z Paint: MAACO full job versus Paint what is nee - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-1999, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 107,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
78Z Paint: MAACO full job versus Paint what is nee



My God. So many choices. Maaco wants $1000.00 to paint entire car same color. Other dude wants $600.00 to just paint what I need painted. Changing colors with Maaco is $1100.00. Other Dude is astronomical/can't afford... Suggestions??? Stay stock or go for broke??



Unknown User is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-1999, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 107,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: 78Z Paint: MAACO full job versus Paint what is



> My God. So many choices. Maaco wants
> $1000.00 to paint entire car same color.
> Other dude wants $600.00 to just paint what
> I need painted. Changing colors with Maaco
> is $1100.00. Other Dude is
> astronomical/can't afford... Suggestions???
> Stay stock or go for broke??

There's no such thing as a good, cheap paint job. Guys who do good work don't work cheap and cheap guys don't do work that's very good. You get exactly what you're willing to pay for.

As for Maaco and all the other Earl Scheib clones, I'd just as soon have a car painted by a high school shop class as an auto paint chain. Most of the chains do cars that qualify as 50 footers afterward. A closer look will tell you it's a third-rate paint job in about one second.

Changing the color of a car that isn't being stripped to the metal is a bad, bad mistake. A new paint job will never cover all the factory paint and every chip and scratch will show the color underneath. That makes the car look shabbier than any unwanted color ever could. You can change the tone of the paint's color however. My '82 coupe was originally a dull gray shade. I had it repainted a BMW silver blue and the colors blend beautifully.

There's one tried and true method of getting a bargain on a great paint job. Ask around for an experienced painter who likes to do extra jobs on weekends - the kind of jobs that put quiet cash in his pocket. Just be sure to check the guy's references before you turn him loose on your cherished Z-car. Oh, and it helps keep the price down if you strip off the trim and do at least some of the sanding on the car yourself. Good luck!




Unknown User is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 78Z Paint: MAACO full job versus Paint what is



I concur with everything Slim said with one minor nit. Here's two extra cents worth. I took my '82 ZX to the shop I wanted to do the work -- I had seen other cars they painted and they were beautiful. They estimated $4,000, part of which was bodywork. I may still go to them if I ever get that flush. Another Z owner paid this shop $5,000 for his paint and the car is absolutely stunning. I don't think it looked that good on the showroom when new.

One nit I might pick with Slim is that you CAN get a good new paint finish over the original paint IF THE ORIGINAL PAINT IS IN GOOD SHAPE. That is to say, not cracked or crazed. On a somewhat related subject, my feeling is a crappy paint job detracts from the value of an otherwise good car, as a real enthusiast will know he has to take all that junk paint off before he can put a decent paint job on.

Why not contact a nearby trade school body class and see if they can do your car? I took a semester of one of these classes and we turned out some very nice work. Otherwise, try to find that guy who'll do work 'under the table' and do as much of the prep as you can yourself.
john is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 12:22 AM
TJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What I did + pictures



> There's no such thing as a good, cheap paint
> job. Guys who do good work don't work cheap
> and cheap guys don't do work that's very
> good. You get exactly what you're willing to
> pay for.

> As for Maaco and all the other Earl Scheib
> clones, I'd just as soon have a car painted
> by a high school shop class as an auto paint
> chain. Most of the chains do cars that
> qualify as 50 footers afterward.
> A closer look will tell you it's a
> third-rate paint job in about one second.

> Changing the color of a car that isn't being
> stripped to the metal is a bad, bad mistake.
> A new paint job will never cover all the
> factory paint and every chip and scratch
> will show the color underneath. That makes
> the car look shabbier than any unwanted
> color ever could. You can change the tone of
> the paint's color however. My '82 coupe was
> originally a dull gray shade. I had it
> repainted a BMW silver blue and the colors
> blend beautifully.

> There's one tried and true method of getting
> a bargain on a great paint job. Ask around
> for an experienced painter who likes to do
> extra jobs on weekends - the kind of jobs
> that put quiet cash in his
> pocket. Just be sure to check the guy's
> references before you turn him loose on your
> cherished Z-car. Oh, and it helps keep the
> price down if you strip off the trim and do
> at least some of the sanding on the car
> yourself. Good luck!

I agree with the above and here is what I did-
Last summer I stripped the car down to bare metal piece by piece with aircraft grade stripper then etched and primed the surface...then had it painted with a 25 foot jober...it came out really good but not show car quality from about 7-10 feet away it looks perfect though..they paint job only cost my 600 bucks because I did all of the prep work including removing all trim lights glass and everything prior to painting. My Z is a daily driver and my only car so I did not need/could afford a trailer queen paint job. But boy does it turn heads....this is getting way to long feel free to e-mail me.-Tj

TJ is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 107,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad Paint Takes a While to Spot



> I concur with everything Slim said with one
> minor nit. Here's two extra cents worth. I
> took my '82 ZX to the shop I wanted to do
> the work -- I had seen other cars they
> painted and they were beautiful. They
> estimated $4,000, part of which was
> bodywork. I may still go to them if I ever
> get that flush. Another Z owner paid this
> shop $5,000 for his paint and the car is
> absolutely stunning. I don't think it looked
> that good on the showroom when new.

> One nit I might pick with Slim is that you
> CAN get a good new paint finish over the
> original paint IF THE ORIGINAL PAINT IS IN
> GOOD SHAPE. That is to say, not cracked or
> crazed. On a somewhat related subject, my
> feeling is a crappy paint job detracts from
> the value of an otherwise good car, as a
> real enthusiast will know he has to take all
> that junk paint off before he can put a
> decent paint job on.

> Why not contact a nearby trade school body
> class and see if they can do your car? I
> took a semester of one of these classes and
> we turned out some very nice work.
> Otherwise, try to find that guy who'll do
> work 'under the table' and do as much of the
> prep as you can yourself.

Pretty much all auto paint looks great at first. That's because the hardest and riskiest parts of refinishing a car are in the metal preparation, sanding and priming, not in the masking and spraying. I've had cars and motorcycles restored to what looked like concourse condition only to have the paint jobs flake, chip, crack and peel off by the yard 3 months later.

When you find yourself in that fix, you have to strip all the bad paint off the car before you can even begin to repaint it. School shop classes are a bad bet, they don't guarantee their jobs will last. It's far better to have a professional who'll stand behind his work than a bargain that amounts up to a crap shoot.

If you have your hair cut at a barber college and you end up looking like a recent photo of Keith Richard, the problem will fix itself in a couple of weeks. Have paint slopped on your car by a pack of amateurs and you'll likely spend $4 to $5K before you get things straightened out. I know, my friends, I've been there.




Unknown User is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 07:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$1K paint max for z worth $2/3K



> My 240 is a daily driver.

I will go with $1000 paint, much easier to handle
than if I had a $5000 paint job when the jerk in the K-mart parking lot dings my z.
Mike Ruiz is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 107,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So Many Choices, So Few Brain Cells



I guess I will go with the expensive dude and just get painted what needs it. The Maaco guy showed me a brilliant yellow mustang in the paint bay and it looked like they sprinkled sand on it before painting. He actually strutted his stuff all over and drooled a bit.. Hmmmmmm. No Thanks.. At least I will retain the original color and get some clearcoat in the process.. Thanks for the info guys..



Unknown User is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 107,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: So Many Choices, So Few Brain Cells



> I guess I will go with the expensive dude
> and just get painted what needs it. The
> Maaco guy showed me a brilliant yellow
> mustang in the paint bay and it looked like
> they sprinkled sand on it before painting.
> He actually strutted his stuff all over and
> drooled a bit.. Hmmmmmm. No Thanks.. At
> least I will retain the original color and
> get some clearcoat in the process.. Thanks
> for the info guys..

I think we'd all like a concours paint job, but those of us with WIVES are usually dissuaded. I was quoted $7000 for a complete stripping, undinging, and great paint job. but I've already spent $3600 on mechanicals and $1200 on replacing quarter panels on top of the $2500 I paid for the car, so I decided I can't afford this paint job (see WIFE above). If I did the paint job I'd have over $14,000 in it, and I haven't seen much of a market for high-priced old Zs. So I'll just keep it well-waxed instead, even though I REALLY do want the paint job!



Unknown User is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-1999, 10:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 78Z Paint: MAACO full job versus Paint what is



One more thing about paint that's worth knowing when you go to a body shop, and that's the type of paint the car will be sprayed with. The cheapest paint is synthetic enamel. It goes on easily and smoothly, with a terrific gloss -- for about a month. Then it fades fast. The most common paint is acrylic enamel, which is what most new cars are painted with. Acrylic enamel used to be better than it is now with all the EPA regs, but it's still good paint. Harder to spray than others, and some colors now require a two stage (color and clear coat) application, but this should be no problem for a decent body man spraying over a well-prepared surface. Top end paints are no longer lacquers. Nowadays they are catalyzed enamels or full-on epoxy paints like Imron. Very tough, very shiny and very expensive.
john is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-1999, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 107,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Not One Door Ding in 17 Years!



> I will go with $1000 paint, much easier to
> handle
> than if I had a $5000 paint job when the
> jerk in the K-mart parking lot dings my z.

Next time you're strolling into a K-Mart, look way out at the far corner of the parking lot where there aren't any other cars within 30 yards, or over by the curb on the street. If you spot a gleaming silver blue 'ZX coupe parked all by its lonesome, that just may be ol' Slim's car. A couple of guys have offered to pay a lot more than three grand for it if I ever decide to sell, and that's one of the biggest reasons why.




Unknown User is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Maaco To paint your "Z" 91 dubbed out buggy 90-96 Tech Discussion Forum 21 07-11-2006 03:46 PM
Maaco paint? WV280nut 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 19 06-01-2003 04:51 PM
maaco 199.00 paint job??? jrb280zx Car Talk Forum 9 09-02-2001 06:03 PM
MAACO Paint Job Unknown User 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 4 03-24-2000 03:06 AM
Maaco Paint Job??? Unknown User 70-83 Tech Discussion Forum 8 01-16-2000 11:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1