ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

g nose headlight buckets

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Tony D 
#1 ·
we recently got a 77 280z thats has the g nose on it, full flares , custom rear end, suspension . this care has everything !! we traded it straight across for a 78 f250. i dont know what the guy was thinking. anyways my question is does anyone know were to get the headlight covers for the g nose?

#4 ·
NONE available anywhere commercialy. I think the last were scooped up by a few members here & on Hybrid Z from a place in Japan that had 5 sets left. This was this past winter. You either have to get some made by hand $$$$ or get them off someone willing to part with an unused set $$$$. There are a couple of web site companies that SAY a full 5 piece gnose kit is in the planning (comming soon) but that has been over a year & I wouldn't hold my breath for it until they get off their big fat assess.

#6 ·
LOL!

"none are available commercially"

Maybe not on this continent, but in Japan there are plenty of old stock mouldering on shelves...

The price mentioned ($700) is a low estimate most likely, as the stock OEM Headlight Covers are selling in that range now! When last available in 1999/2000 from Nissan USA, they sold for $699 a pair.

Black Dragon doesn't have them, they never did, and they never will. Not for a G-Nose anyway.

#10 ·
Maybe not on this continent, but in Japan there are plenty of old stock mouldering on shelves...

As I understand it these are NOS siting on shelves of small companies. No one is masss manufacturing the covers. And unless you know Japanese or know someone over there they are next to impossible to import into N.A.

Yes Blue a usefull trick. A friend was telling me he use to do that for front fairings when he was racing cyles for a living. You can also use plexiglass in the same manner. Temp needs to be up around 150 - 200 degrees. He said you could even use boiling water but it requires hand pressure to form it on the mold.

BTW Tony how about the 2 that you scooped up. Did you use them both.

#11 ·
Actually I have bought 2 sets (and a bunch of other parts) from this same seller. His stuff is old Nissan stock and he has very reasonable prices. Luckily for me, I live there part of the year and can get all of my stuff from Yahoo Japan auctions.

#12 ·
Pricing...

JDM Pricing remains very constant till the supply dries up. The people paying/sellingfor stupid prices are the Americans. The Japanese are still selling them for "price book" prices, about 30,000 yen for the headlight covers...exactly what they sold for in Japan in 1989. While NISMO was selling them here in the USA for just under 2X that amount.
The G-Nose at that time was just under $3500, while you could get the entire assembly complete at JDM conversion-to-dollar equivalent of around $1750.

As for the wood forms situation, I did that to make windows, and have given instructions (Here I think) for how to make an oven using the heat guns from Harbor Freight and an oven thermostat so you can evenly heat large sections and make your own windows.

Using good polycarbonate in the proper thicknesses, it's best to go closer to 280F so you have some handling time. I lay out the window on a table, set up the oven near by, then when the time comes, pick the polycarbonate out with two tongs, and flop it onto the window. With a fan blowing across it the plastic looses heat VERY quickly, and you trim the edge with a jigsaw, to finish, sand the ends with fine sandpaper. Nobody will know you paid only $50 for that unbreakable side glass or hatch glass... And you can get it in gradient grey as well, so it's semi-pricavy glass. Hit it with a hammer, IT WON'T BREAK! Pretty neat for the people in high-theft areas. The only window I have not made is the windshield. I have seen knockoff covers, but blow-molding is probably a better method with the sharp creases in the OEM glass like on the non-g-nose covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.