newb questions about an 80 280zx - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
newb questions about an 80 280zx

well, me and a friend are about to go pick up a 1980 280zx. before we even try to drive it we are going to have to do a few things. repalce the headgasket, change the oil, change the the tranny fluid, and probably flush out the cooling system. so does anyone have any suggestions for what oil to use in it? what kind of tranny fluid? and any suggestions for changing the head gasket? im hopeing to have the car up and running fine by tommorow night. thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: newb questions about an 80 280zx

Never done a head gasket, but for oil just use 10w40 or 10w30, but of course it also depends on your climate. No sense using synthetic on it either, in my opinion.

For the -manual- transmission, just use 80w90 gear oil, or thereabouts (I think the book says 85 weight?). Some folks buy Redline, so maybe someone else will chime in and tell you if its worth it. Use a big breaker bar to open the drain, and snake a hose down from the back of the engine bay to the filler opening... otherwise you have to take out the console (which isn't too much work).

Good luck, and have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:52 PM

I used a FelPro head gasket and are pleased with the result. It is a might thinner for a higher compression ratio, but works well as long as both mating surfaces are very clean (true with any brand). Use cheap oil and coolant to put in it to start with because it's a good idea to run it for 50-100 miles and change the oil and coolant out to further flush any contaminates or debris out of the oil and coolant passages. I agree with mikeatrpi about synthetic oil.....a waste of money.

1971 240Z series 1 with a 22,000 serial#, all original and 99% rust free.

I no longer have the black bumperless 78 with the ZX drivetrain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:54 PM

Why the head gasket?

"...Always with the Corvair, rants about volumetric eff, adiabatic this and gearing that,lecture about thermostats, Z cars should be turning 4k rpm at highway cruising, everyone is an idiot and revel in your omnipotence. ..geez, its about having fun with
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

why the headgasket? because its blown out around cylinder 5 and 6. bought the car for $800. now after getting into and working on it for a few hours now. we'll be replacing more then just the headgasket. the radiator is also being replaced, thermastat, fuel injcectors, all the belts, and more dry rotted hoses then i can imagine. basickly its gonna cost a few more $$$ to get it up and running. luckily though we havent found anything majoly wrong yet like a rod sticking out the side of the block.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page