MSA/theZstore Terrible Customer Service - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MSA/theZstore Terrible Customer Service

My 78' 280z has been in the shop since Friday July 18 due to an inoperable driveshaft and I immediately ordered a new aluminum driveshaft from MSA. I am paying $35 a day to have my car stuck at the shop, so of course I quickly ordered parts. It wasn't until Tuesday July 22 that MSA emailed me telling me that it is out of stock for at least another two weeks, yet their website still shows it is in stock, http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PR...c22e02/22-1034. I talked to two representatives on the phone to verify that I could get the driveshaft by Wednesday before ordering and they both at separate times assured me I could. I had also ordered a strut bar at the same time and that was mailed out on Monday, so I know they had reviewed the order on Monday, but did not tell me the driveshaft was out of stock until Tuesday. I immediately emailed them back on Tuesday explaining my situation that the car is stuck in the shop, Im getting charged per day, Im graduating in couple weeks and then Im going to USMC OCC immediately after, so I need the car fixed ASAP. I asked what we can do as I have been a dedicated customer of theirs for 6 years and have course spent $10K+ with them and I have yet to have a response for a couple days.

I now have ordered the same driveshaft brand new on eBay for $150 less, but that won't arrive until Monday of next week and it is now Thursday.

The shipping I paid was of course for both items (strut bar and driveshaft), but I was only mailed one item. The shipping costs for just the strut bar, after just now making a shopping cart with just that and checking out, is less than half of what I actually paid to receive just the strut bar.

MSA/theZstore does not have the best pricing around, by far. However, I have been dedicated to them due to their one-stop-shopping source for my 280z. There has yet to be a customer service issue with them in the past, but now I am obviously infuriated at being ignored when my schedule is tight and Im not being respected as a customer.

I also despise when online retailers show items in-stock when they know they are not. Their hope is to catch the sale and make the customer wait a couple weeks, or more, until the product comes in. It is extremely unethical and frankly appalling to see that kind of customer service. It is not respectful to their customers who may have important schedules to abide by.

If anyone needs a part quickly do NOT order from MSA. I called twice to confirm the product and its inventory. I wasn't told until 4 days since ordering that it was out of stock (3 days if excluding Sunday) and a day after my strut bar was mailed out which was on the same order.

MSA does not have the best pricing and clearly a terrible service. I will avoid them as much as possible and I implore others to consider the same until MSA's issues are resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree that MSA does not always have the most aggressive prices.
However what they lack in aggressive pricing, they make up for by (usually) having inventory!
Bummer about your experience. Sadly I don't think it's that unusual for many retailers online. Outdated computer systems or poor processes for updating online inventory can often plague us customers.
I just wanted to say that overall my experience with MSA has been positive. Of course, I have one massive advantage-I drive by their shop every day on my way to and from work: so I can deal with them eyeball to eyeball.
Overall, I would give them a thumbs up.

P. S. There is no excuse for the way you were treated

woodworkerb.com

Last edited by bvolken; 10-13-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added post script
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
My experience has been to assemble and trial fit parts before at a critical juncture in the project.
I continually see people whipped into a frenzy because of last minute purchases not fitting, mis-shipping, etc.
In the internet world it's easy for someone to come online and vent, spew bile, talk down...

I find eBay ratings interesting...you got a guy with 10,000 positive reviews, and say 10 bad ones.., 1/10 of 1%... There are some people you just can't please everybody.

Before condemning them wholesale from one, or even 1,000 reports...you have to consider the volume they do and inevitability of probability and statistics. GM had the most consumer complaints...they also outsold everybody by a huge margin! It stands to reason...more sales, more complaints. Nobody will run a perfect organization.

I would be suspect of large volume and no complaints....that would smack of manipulation.

It's fine to say "I'll never do business with them again." Beware saying it to other people based on your one bad experience.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

As with any computer inventory management system it's "GIGO"--it all gets chucked when one guy takes a part to "set aside" and doesn't log it in....
Conversely the guy that sells something IN STOCK that is picked up and sold over the counter by a guy who says "it says nothing in stock but I know I saw one back there..."

WE ALL HAVE HEARD THAT!

We're happy we got OUR part...but you may have screwed someone else accepting it.

It's the human factor in computer inventory management systems.

It's why stock pickets at automotive plants no longer have jobs. They use computerized palletized inventory control systems and robots do all that. The variability is reduced by a HUGE level.

Until you take humans out of it, this can, and understandably will happen.

Now, you deal with a one-man shop, then things are personal...

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Why on earth are you paying $35 a day for storage? Get your car out of that shop immediately. That's not MSA's issue, that's yours.

-----
John Coffey
Benton Performance, LLC
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
MSA is just the middleman. A niche parts retailer. They do not manufacture any products. They got lucky at start up by buying huge OEM part lots from Nissan USA then retailing it. I too have had online ordered items come back as not available due to their lack of foresight in re-ordering from their manufacturer in time or the product no longer being available because MSA only had a limited number of the product made or had a source but it had dried up. It’s frustrating that it takes a week or so after you order for them to get back to you when the online web site said it’s available.
There is no reason to have poor inventory control with online ordering in this day & age. Look at Summit Racing’s online website. It will give you product availability & estimated restock shipping time online before you actually pay for your order & products ship next day if in stock. Why does it take MSA a week or so to get a shipping quote? **** I remember working for SCM in Cornwall which handles Walmart’s inventory. They are separate company that buys up inventory from manufacturers & ships it to Walmart’s stores. The Cornwall location is the mid- eastern Canadian shipping point. A 120 truck bay, 3 floored conveyor belt facility. An item bought at a Walmart store would trigger an electronic signal via bar code scanning so that it would be immediately replaced from the SCM warehouse which in turn would order the product from the manufacturer. Virtually a seamless inventory control system & this was 11 years ago.
But I digress. Retail companies will do what they do & the only control you have is to cancel the order outright & tell them I will order from your competitor. Thank you for your service.

Americans are the scourge of planet earth. Humanities demise will be at the hands of her meddling narrow minded blind greed & overtly obtuse people.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe because a billion dollar, or hundred-million dollar company that does as much inventory turnover in a week as MSA does in a year might have access to state of the art inventory control?

Seriously, you guys criticizing: DO IT BETTER! If it's a as easy as you say it is (working as a box mover, or whatever) step up and do it better. The Z-world will beat a path to your door.

What a bunch of whining, ungrateful pricks. Seriously.

My ex handled the Samsung Appliance inventory for Lowes. 12mmUSD a month through her "satellite" facility. It was adjunct to the RDC three miles away which was three times the size. The economies of scale in no way compares to two or three garage stalls of inventory storage space and maybe a dozen employees.

Face it guys: you don't own a car that even FITS on Summit's radar screen. As them for a fuse box cover. See what response you get.

You all want the advantages of modern inventory control, with the reliability of inventory philosophies from the 1940's and 50's! The business model changed, because nobody wants to PAY for service. They demand it nonetheless, but will not pay for it.

Places like MSA, Otto Parts, Clark's Corvair... They are the places that supplant the mass marketers with parts you will need in 15 years.

Everybody is an expert, all talk but no action. Armchair quarterbacks.

Last edited by Tony D; 12-01-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
i've never really had any issues with MSA as far as customer service and parts go. they are usually helpful and get me what i need and sometimes give me good shipping discounts for military. the only issue i guess i really had is when i ordered a set of side louvers for a 2+2 and the ones i received were for the coupe. but they took that return and sent me another set. i just had to wait another week for shipping. frankly i do think that some of their products are outraegously over-priced, but in all honesty, i am really glad they are around... trying to keep the Z alive.

better luck next time.

bon

Nos, primer paint, piller gauges, fart cans, funky spoilers, low riders, annoying drivers...
Oooh, I'm trembling with fear as the stop light is near, I sit in my Z in the presence of thee....
Whatever man. Leave that dumb crap to the Honda goons!

Pooja -- 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo. International DD
Suzanna -- 1983 280zx coupe non-turbo. Stateside DD
Alana -- 1976 280z coupe NA2T. Weekend Warrior
Dianna -- 1980 280zx coupe slick-top. Former DD ~ Sold.

Last edited by bonfire79; 12-03-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling correction
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
"Face it guys: you don't own a car that even FITS on Summit's radar screen. As them for a fuse box cover. See what response you get. "

I have ordered S30 parts from Summit. They do have a few Datsun parts in stock.

Americans are the scourge of planet earth. Humanities demise will be at the hands of her meddling narrow minded blind greed & overtly obtuse people.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Datsun specific parts or parts that can fit on Datsuns?

-----
John Coffey
Benton Performance, LLC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page