User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1977 280z

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a 1977 280z and it runs and drives good...mostly. Recently went to start and it started but lots of blue smoke so i think its the valve stem seals. The fuel gauge doesnt work but i think it is the sender, is there a way to rebuild this rather than buy a new one? I plan on changing the oil and new M/C cyclinder and slave cylinder but otherwise it is a fun little car.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjernigan280 View Post
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a 1977 280z and it runs and drives good...mostly. Recently went to start and it started but lots of blue smoke so i think its the valve stem seals. The fuel gauge doesnt work but i think it is the sender, is there a way to rebuild this rather than buy a new one? I plan on changing the oil and new M/C cyclinder and slave cylinder but otherwise it is a fun little car.

Thanks
down load he FSM (its online) review the fuel sending unit wiring. Test the unit by shorting the correct wires at the plug to the wire harness. If the gauge works its prob the sender.

buy a new O ring for the sending unit, loosen the retaining ring, remove the sender. I will prob be all corroded.
clean it with some PB blaster or evap o rust. This will prob fix it. check the operation with a resistance check to make sure it changes as you move the float up and down, prob between 150-10 ohms.

Reinstall, make sure it installed level.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
down load he FSM (its online) review the fuel sending unit wiring. Test the unit by shorting the correct wires at the plug to the wire harness. If the gauge works its prob the sender.

buy a new O ring for the sending unit, loosen the retaining ring, remove the sender. I will prob be all corroded.
clean it with some PB blaster or evap o rust. This will prob fix it. check the operation with a resistance check to make sure it changes as you move the float up and down, prob between 150-10 ohms.

Reinstall, make sure it installed level.
Okay, Thanks

Does this mean i dont have to drop the fuel tank?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You do NOT have to drop the tank. Helps a lot if you can elevate the rear of the car and remove the pass side rear wheel, but you don't have to.
You have to snake out the sending unit (its side mounted so you want to be low of fuel) by twisting and turning as you remove it. there are two sensors, a float for fuel level and a thermistor for low fuel light.

remember the connectors are old so use care when removing so you don't end up breaking wires and connectors. there is plenty of post on this so use the search.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
You do NOT have to drop the tank. Helps a lot if you can elevate the rear of the car and remove the pass side rear wheel, but you don't have to.
You have to snake out the sending unit (its side mounted so you want to be low of fuel) by twisting and turning as you remove it. there are two sensors, a float for fuel level and a thermistor for low fuel light.

remember the connectors are old so use care when removing so you don't end up breaking wires and connectors. there is plenty of post on this so use the search.
Thanks so muchhhh, I now have a working a fuel gauge. Next thing I have to do is the valve stem seals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page