New Guy-Potential Buyer-What is your preferred year car? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Guy-Potential Buyer-What is your preferred year car?

Hello all, I am new to the site and a potential buyer of a Z31 turbo car. I have spent nearly a year researching more than 70 different cars that I picked from a specific time span. From 1975-1994. I believe that many of our future classic and under appreciated cars are from this time line especially when we are in the realm of turbo power plants. I have narrowed my list to about 3.
1. Porsche 928S models
2. 280\300Z turbo
3. Mark II Toyota Supra's.

I grew up in the 80's and lear to appreciate a lot of cars made during this time and I want to get in while they are still plentiful in the market and reasonably priced.

I am 90% sure I that I am going to buy a Z car. So that being said, in your opinion what is the best year\model\setup do you like. I personally like the 84-86 body styles. They look leaner and lighter but I really like the maturity and refinement of the 88-89 models. I also prefer the 5 speed manual turbo models but open to other models

So in your opinion, what is the best year or years of the Z model and what are some of the most important things you should check when purchasing one (outside of the normal, any specific issues for that model) and what are things that should be upgraded immediately.

My plan is to purchase, keep it mostly stock but upgraded. I dont want it to be a street racer. Just a car with guts and pulls strong, handles well. So upgrade the intake\exhaust, ignition, brakes, tires etc. Mileage doesnt scare me as I will rebuild the engine, upgrading some of the internals, again not to make it a street racer but a car with real guts.

Looking forward to your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
The 86 is my favorite. like the looks better. nissan had three years to work out the kinks. had two 86 and one 85. I don't agree with your perception that these cars will appreciate markedly but everyone has an opinion.

86T, 350 Nismo 08 (#1415) gone but fondly remembered 81T, 83T, 83, 85T, 86T, 96TT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 PM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
don't mess with the ignition. the ignition system on the 300zx (Z31) is pretty solid and in my opinion, probably the one and only thing Nissan really got right on the car. the rest of it can be an absolute nightmare. electrical problems and weird gremlins running around, overheat problems and other cooling system related issues, rust, and pretty much lacking in power... that being said, they can also be very dependable and super fun to drive, that is if they have been taken care of and maintained properly. I have an 87... boy what a fun car, but it is not and has not been without being a pain in the butt.

if you want to have any reliable power, get a turbo. lots and lots of upgrades you can do to make more. the VG is very capable.

based on my own 300zx experience, here are some things that you will most likely have to do if you end up getting one:

your suspension is shot. replace it. get the bushings also.
your alternator is probably going. replace with the maxima upgrade.
your cooling system is bound to fail... replace that system if it is the original one because overheating is the worst for the VG30 and seems to be a problematic issue with the Z31, or maybe just on my car

timing belt. timing belt. timing belt. if it hasn't been changed, change it or save up the benjamins for another motor. also, change the CHTS and harness too.

man, there is a whole list of things that you need to check for and probably replace. I'm actually surprised that RogerZ didn't post his list of things to check... you should ask him because its good stuff to know.

good luck on your search and hope you find a good one. they are out there.
also, don't hesitate to check out some of the other Z car types while you're on the prowl. all are nice and cool and have something to offer. just depends on whatever you fancy.

Cheers,

Bonny

Nos, primer paint, piller gauges, fart cans, funky spoilers, low riders, annoying drivers...
Oooh, I'm trembling with fear as the stop light is near, I sit in my Z in the presence of thee....
Whatever man. Leave that dumb crap to the Honda goons!

Pooja -- 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo. International DD
Suzanna -- 1983 280zx coupe non-turbo. Stateside DD
Alana -- 1976 280z coupe NA2T. Weekend Warrior
Dianna -- 1980 280zx coupe slick-top. Former DD ~ Sold.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
^ What they said. If you are looking for a car to obtain investment value the 84-89 300zx ain't it. It will be several years before you see an appreciable bump in the market if any at all. The 72-78 z are starting to gain steam in the market. I too was looking at the 928 when I bought my Nissan in 2004. You could buy a low mileage 928s for 15k and a 90gt for less than 20k at the time. Not anymore. If you want a 928 in that year range you will pay significantly more. Good luck trying to find a low mileage gt at all. If you find one plan on 30k-35k if not way more depending on condition. If you want one you better get on the train quick.

That being said, I love my 86t. Since you're doing all the work yourself you can add power economically, to a point. Plan on fabrication work as the aftermarket is weak on these cars. Good luck

1986ZXT GLL: K & N, CM 3" turbo back, Turbosmart MBC @ 11 psi, fmic (old guy kept the A/C), Dual Fans, Maxima Alternator, ASCO plenum, Eibach/KYB, Champion 3 row
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Great feedback. I do realize that the later generation Z31's will not grow in value like the early model 240\260's. I personally like the later generations because they are more refined and newer so parts should be slightly more plentiful.

The points about the issues that will need to be checked, cooling, Alternator, suspension all make sense and the first things that I will tackle. The driving and handling experience is more important to me that the looks. If I can find an 86-88 Turbo in good shape interior and exterior that with a high mileage engine that needs rebuilt and upgrading the suspension.... that is the perfect car for me. I have about 15,000.00 that I can throw into a car total.

I love the 928's but I agree. The prices are flying to the top of the food chain and at 15,000 dollar car probably needs about another 5-10 grand of work to get it where it needs to be. Not sure I want to dive that deep with my first vintage car.

I really like the 280\300zx style and potential driving experience.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerz View Post
The 86 is my favorite. like the looks better. nissan had three years to work out the kinks. had two 86 and one 85. I don't agree with your perception that these cars will appreciate markedly but everyone has an opinion.
I totally agree with you on the value appreciation. Thats one of the draws for the car for me. If the value growth is still another 5-10 years away and potentially marginally, it means that the cars will remain affordable along with their parts. When cars become valuable, they get bought up and rebuilt meaning tons of part cars are strip making original replacement parts hard to find and expensive. Its the same exact thing that is happening to the 928 now. I want a car that is fairly affordable to own and run, easy to upgrade and fun as **** to drive. I think the Z models are that car. Now that more of these cars are beginning to be appreciated and people start to see how great these cars can be the market will get hotter for them, even the later models but the 240's and some 260's are the real investment quality models for future collectibles.

I liken them to the early Celica's. The late 70's early 80's celica's, even the early supra are climbing in value. That era of Japanese cars is growing in popularity and appreciation.

Last edited by bbarnes; 12-23-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
don't believe that crap about the cooling system. you may need a new radiator but only because the old one exterior is deteriorating as did my 86. the people who have problems with cooling are those who took the shroud off the front of the engine with the idiot thinking that it is in the way. I've never had cooling issues with a Z31 nor anyone I know.

86T, 350 Nismo 08 (#1415) gone but fondly remembered 81T, 83T, 83, 85T, 86T, 96TT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:41 PM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerz View Post
don't believe that crap about the cooling system. you may need a new radiator but only because the old one exterior is deteriorating as did my 86. the people who have problems with cooling are those who took the shroud off the front of the engine with the idiot thinking that it is in the way. I've never had cooling issues with a Z31 nor anyone I know.

the majority of problems i've had on my Z31 have been cooling related. i never took the shroud off... it was already gone when i got the car and someone had the maxima fans put on. please don't fault me on that. i prefer the clutch fan personally. and i've had several hoses tear and break, but they seem to be original stuff. just trying to tell the guy to keep on eye on the cooling system so he doesn't run into the issues as i have.

Merry Christmas

Bon

Nos, primer paint, piller gauges, fart cans, funky spoilers, low riders, annoying drivers...
Oooh, I'm trembling with fear as the stop light is near, I sit in my Z in the presence of thee....
Whatever man. Leave that dumb crap to the Honda goons!

Pooja -- 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo. International DD
Suzanna -- 1983 280zx coupe non-turbo. Stateside DD
Alana -- 1976 280z coupe NA2T. Weekend Warrior
Dianna -- 1980 280zx coupe slick-top. Former DD ~ Sold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page