ZCar Forum banner

79 280zx new introduction

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Shilohb 
#1 ·
I recently came upon this form and want to introduce myself; I am in Northern Virginia and have 1989 280 ZX 2x2. Not a model I would have selected but in came into my hands by chance and I have grown to appreciate it over the three years I have owned it. I must say that I feel the body modifications made to add the rear seats ruined the graceful proportions of the coup model but I have come to appreciate the extra space. Just don’t know what benefit those seats were supposed to offer. The car odometer has 68,000 miles on it, don’t know if the actual distance is 68K or 168K, I suspect the latter given the age but its condition bespeaks of the lower millage. It runs very well, idles smooth, starts reliably, has a little rust in the rocker panels, and the original interior looking like new. The rear end is a bit noisier than I am use to and the shocks need replaced but that is the only mechanical issues I have identified thus far. The engine has obviously run hot in the past, the hood paint is blistered a bit, I replaced the thermostat, the one in it was frozen half open or half closed depending on point of view. There is a fan on the engine side that is intended to blow cool air over the fuel system after the engine shuts down, it is activated by a switch in the thermostat housing, mine dos not close and I have not been able to find a replacement these past years. I have bypassed it with a switch in the cab but prefer replacing the original switch. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I ramble, I just wanted to introduce my car. Look forward to partaking in the form as I am about to start a major renovation. I just have to overcome my ”if it isn’t broken don’t try to fix it” leaning. Thank you all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the hive mind.
FWIW, I source about 80% of my parts at junkyards. Despite the fact that people love spending money on new or rebuilt stuff (which they are often just guessing they need), the fact is, Nissan made things so well in the first place that a lot of what is discarded is still good - including entire engines. So try a junkyard for that switch. Anyway, you probably know by now that the cooling fan/blower you're talking about has nothing to do with how the car runs - it's only there to blow on the fuel lines and injectors to help cool them so the car doesn't suffer from 'fuel boil'. This is a common problem in Zs after shutdown, where the heat of the engine 'boils' the fuel in the lines for 5-10 minutes. This would manifest itself as rough running if you re-start the car within that time frame. If you wait longer, there is no problem. And neither of my ZXs had the problem in winter. Only summer.
I don't know what the designers had in mind with those back seats in the 2+2s, either. Kids? Amputees? Small animals? LOL

#4 ·
That sensor is available in many places, rockauto.com for one. However, the fan only kicks on if over a certain temp. The FSM will walk you through how to test it. Remove those sensors and polish them up. Very few fail. (www.xenons130.com)

The 2+2 was for young people with small families. We drove ours 5 hours thru the Nat'l Forest with 15 yrold girl and 7 yr old boy.

The rear shocks I'm sure are toast. They were gas. Dont be too hasty replacing the front. We all made that mistake back in the day. I have cars with well over 200K on the front hydraulic strut They are still doing their job and if you replace them, will only last about 30-40k.

#5 ·
Thank you for the welcome and for the responces. First, I have been considering shopping the junkyards, only hesitated because the Z is so old but with your prompting I will look into it. Also thank you for the advice about the front shocks. I have heard that new springs will lower the car an inch and improve handling, is this true? I read thru a post on the clastic site from a fellow who was rebuilding a 280zx lots of pictures (did not note his name and the site is down just now), any way it was inspiring and has me want to do the same. Emotionally I just hate pulling apart a running car, logically I know it has to be done and the sooner the better. No response expected just saying it to get it out where I can see it, helps clear up my decision process.

#6 ·
Welcome, good luck with the build. Always fun stuff

#8 ·
The car was awesome as is. My black z had lowered springs. Hard rise and I could not make it over any speed hump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.