ZCar Forum banner

Is a 1970 series 1 240z worth $11000????

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  john cross 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to ZCAR and i had a question for y'all. I recently found a 1970 series 1 240z 25K original miles with a vin in the low 1400's. Its a beautiful car with zero rust, an amazing paint job, with undercarriage and motor completely restored. I would be all in to buy the car for the respectable $11000 but it has some minor-extreme issues.

The first issue being electrical... i know the early Z's were plagued with electrical issues, this particular Z has issues such as the right rear tail light not working and the head lights not working, another issue is the transmission has problems engaging when shifting, im sure its mechanical and can be related to linkage. The last two minor issues being that the car has rocker panels and the interior was done poorly. I know the electrical has the potential to become a night mare and could cost thousands if i cant figure it out. as far as the panels and interior its not the factory original, does it affect value?

Overall the car has nice looking aesthetics but is not truly road worthy. everything mechanical is fresh and new with every single document included. Im just hesitent to pay the 11000 for something that is not ready for the road. Is this deal a steal or would it be best to walk away. I appreciate any feedback, its just hard to gauge the value on this Z.

Z y'all later

See less See more
#3 ·
Try to cut the cost of repaires(you need a headlight switch-Need rebuild tranny or swap to 5 speed) from the asking price......1st Gen Z with low Vin # they go for a good price.......We need to see some pictures to give value!!!

#5 ·
Any 44 year old car is plagued with electrical issues. That's a non-issue in my opinion. A completely rebuilt trans is $700. If the car is truly rust free, actually has 25K total miles on it, a restored engine and undercarriage (done right), then $11k is cheap.

#7 ·
Ask the seller to prove the 25 k original claim. Electrical issues really aren't that big of problem. This sounds like it needs a rebuild on the light switch. rear taillight could be bad bulbs,corrosion on the connectors, or a bad ground. If it is a real 25k car then the price seams reasonable.

#13 ·
Not sure what a new harness would run. I know there was someone in Florida who was restoring them. Cost was $750 to 1200.

#16 ·
Pedals don't really scream '25,000 original miles' -- neither does the total respray.

That being said, for what it is (no VIN shown) that price is not out of line. The repairs for the electrical should be attended to for that price, otherwise slightly lower. I'm with John C on this one.

#17 ·
It hasn't got 25k original miles. It has 25k miles on the rebuilt engine. That is not "original". The engine bay looks great btw... Why are there seat covers on the seats? The seats may be worn.

I don't think htese problems are serious, but you mus be handy to deal with I have a 73 myself.. If you can handle the issues... I would say it is worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.