72 240Z - Fiberglass what's it worth - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
72 240Z - Fiberglass what's it worth

I have a 72 240Z that has had the fenders, doors,and quarters replaced with fiberglass panels. The frame rails have been done and it has a 28L 5 speed in it. The interior is in pretty good shape (no crashed dash) and the car is primed and ready for painting. All the final trim parts/moldings and bumpers are ready to reinstall. It needs some minor electrical/mechanical work. Also have the original L24 and 4 speed with it as well as extra parts.Both engines were running before the swap. Live in the northeast. Any idea what the car might be worth in comparison to others bearing in mind the fiberglass panels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM

Re: 72 240Z - Fiberglass what's it worth

I don't know but I'd like to have those glass panels!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Explain those doors again one more time?

Are they reskinned doors, or complete fiberglass doors?
In the northeast a place called Impact Parts in Glen Wyld NY sold parts as you describe for rally use, and rust replacement, so finding this in the Northeast should be no suprise.

Some photos of the things would be nice to assess value.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
-Ecclesiastes 1:9 and that means SEARCH, NOOB!

Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM

(Thread Starter)

The doors are skinned over the originals. Whoever did the body work knew what they were doing. You can't tell that any of the panels are fiberglass. They are pretty solid and well integrated into the metal. The reason I am asking is I am thinking of selling as it has been garaged for a number of years and I need the space for another toy.

[attachment 7254 72Datsun240ZBody.jpg]
[attachment 7255 72Datsun240ZBody2.jpg]
[attachment 7256 72Datsun240Zinterior.jpg]
#5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 AM

The fiberglass shouldn't hurt the value if it's done as good as you say. Being in the northeast also, I wouldn't mind having fiberglass panels.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

So likely this is a...

Fiberglass Corrosion Repair, instead of using Metal.

That is considerably less desirable than having someone do metal replacement of affected parts---especially the quarter panels and the door skins.

If the entire door was fiberglass, that might give you some potential interest in buying them individually.

But in this instance, it's not 'a good thing'...

Sorry for the bad news.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 PM

If they are just fiberglass patches then, as Tony said, it won't help you. I was under the impression that the entire panel was fiberglass. I guess I should have read better. Since fiberglass expands and contracts differently than metal, it is more prone to cracking. But if you really can't tell, then I doubt it would hurt too much, since the car isn't perfect anyway.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM

(Thread Starter)

The panels themselves are fiberglass other than for the roof,hood and rear hatch. Even the scooped headlight cowls and rear panel below the tailight bezel are fiberglass. It was done over 20 years ago and hasn't shown any signs of distress or separation. It makes for a really light car. I had been thinking of turning it into a vintage racer as these things actually did well on the circuits in their day.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind...

"I had been thinking of turning it into a vintage racer as these things actually did well on the circuits in their day."

They had basically tube frames if they had FRP parts. What you got was a car that was rust repaired---not something that was set up for racing.

I would be more concerned that there is more underneath. The places replaced are common rust areas in your area of the country.

As much as you want to spin it, the panels are cheap replacements for the real deal: Steel. As such it's value is decreased accordingly. Spin it all you want, but that's the facts of the matter.

You asked, and now seem kind of upset with the response you got. There are plenty of these cars in SoCal without ANY rust on them, intact and straight metal all 'round. They sell between 200 and 1500 all day long. The only interesting part on the car is the dash without the cracks. Someone may pay for that. But as for the body, it's just another N.E. Rustbucket repaired with (in the eyes of a restorer) substandard aftermarket panels to cut the cost and stave off rust perforation while being driven in the winters.

#10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 AM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for your candid comments Tony D...that is what I was looking for on this thread. If it weren't for the shipping costs to bring a SoCal Z up here to the North-east, I would bring up one of those 1500 project cars. Unfortunately,with gas prices going the way they are,it would likely cost me more in shipping than what I would pay for a decent shell. We are pretty much stuck with what we have up here in the NE unless you want to sink a whole lot of money into it and then you have to question the return on the investment. From what I see, medeocre Z don't command a huge $$ anyway.

Thanks again.
Davyp
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page