Screw hybrids, why not ride? - Page 3 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Screw hybrids, why not ride?

hahaa, i expected more thought provoking responses from you guys, i must say im dissapointed........ dare i say, maybe i should have posted this in the 350Z forum

Post Edited (Aug 30, 7:35pm)
VIN #189
drivenZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ah... just HOW is one supposed to have a thought provoking discussion with someone that is ranting? Can't happen man.

"...Always with the Corvair, rants about volumetric eff, adiabatic this and gearing that,lecture about thermostats, Z cars should be turning 4k rpm at highway cruising, everyone is an idiot and revel in your omnipotence. ..geez, its about having fun with
Hybrid77Z is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

guess i was looking for anti-SUV sympathisers...none to be found around here i guess

VIN #189
drivenZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

i would never own a SUV

Old 08-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
DMS

Default show me a bike that gets 50mpg

I've owned 33 bikes off and on road. I have yet to own a bike that gets any better fuel mileage than my 06 Sentra.... Best mileage(not average) I ever got was 40mpg... best average was about 30mpg...

They only hybrids I like are the propane kits and NGV kits... Or just go buy a diesel VW Rabbit and get 50mpg and call it good.

A lot of americans need there large vehicles... You think I could haul around Z's with my Sentra?

I am a member of BARF...
<http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/>

Post Edited (Aug 30, 8:45pm)
DMS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #26 (permalink)

It's funny to watch ya'll argue amongst yourselves...

300zxt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default Who's Upset?

Seems like you are the one on a rant and not considering the majority of people out there that have no alternative BUT to drive.

I bet I could almost guess your locale and upbringing by your statements!

Why?

Because I have seen it over and over:

(For instance)
People from NYC can't understand the Western USA with it's vast open spaces, and can't for the life of them understand (if they drive a car at all) why anyone would support a speed limit other than the NY State 55mph.

But spend 16 hours a day on the road, and the difference between 55 and 85 is another FULL DAY DRIVING! You end up 480 miles further in a day driving 85 than you do driving 55.

But they take short trips, live around the corner from the bodega, and can walk to everything they need in their life.

In the West, it's not uncommon for your food to be 5 miles or more from your house if you are outside any city center. And in the countryside, that figure can be 10X that much.

Katrina brought forth a great example. St. Bernard's Parish had NOTHING. You had to go 30 miles to find food or a laundromat for months, and the laundromat wasn't opened for a FULL YEAR after it hit. No bikes for that environment!

Bikes are for people who live in cities, and WANT to live in cities, and NEED all the support people (farmers, truckers, powerplant employees, and everybody else that provides for their citified TOTALLY DEPENDENT LIFESTYLE).

Thing is, the guys out in the boondocks, when the emergency comes they just need a full tank of gas.

The dependent idiots living the lie of the clean grean bike----they get to pedal on down to the superdome and see what the government TRUCKS in to them in BIG BIG TRUCKS....

I'm not upset, I just find your delusional, idealisim totally unrealistic for anyone that lives outside the environs of the big city

And last time I checked, 55% of the country's population was considered more rural, than urban.

I always love city people trying to suggest everybody live like they do.

Especially when they start off on rants, and then can't see simple counterpoint as what it is: a simple alternative to what they are trying to preach.

Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
Tony D is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Default HAW HAW HAW!

"i expected more thought provoking responses from you guys, i must say im dissapointed"

That's rich! i give you a simple reason for someone driving an SUV, and ask your alternative (which you said there were many) and YOU went off-tangent claiming I was all upset, and totally disregarded your OWN claims.

Perhaps it is US who are dissapointed in YOU.

You claimed to have ALL THESE ALTERNATIVES, yet when pressed for ONE alternative in ONE situation, you couldn't produce.

Talk about an impotent, specious argument, based on nothing morethan hot air....

Give me a break!

:Rolls Eyes:

Old 08-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default I got one:

1969 MachIII 500CC Kawasaki (I think, it was red, and my Uncles)

It got 65mpg when driven in "commuter mode".

It could carry Two People if they were less than 132# each, so lets call that (to allude to Hybrid's Seat-Miles per gallon) 65X2=130mpg.

Suburban can seat 9, gets 12 mpg. 108 seat-miles per gallon, with LESS pollution due to current regulations (SUV is GREENER than the bike!)

Put that in a Ford Product with the 6.0L Turbodiesel (alluding to my govermental regulations limiting our choices...) getting 25mpg and it goes to 225 seat-miles per gallon.

SUV KICKING ASS on the bike.

Now, consider if you will, the 2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, seat Five in a pinch. 3.3L V6 Petrol engine gets maybe 20mpg, but more likely 18.... so that's a paltry 90 Seat-Miles per gallon. BUT, take the SAME VEHICLE sold in Mexico, Italy, Australia, Europe, and just about ANYPLACE BUT THE USA with the 3.0L Direct Injection Turbodiesel..... 35mpg. And that works out to 175 Seat-Miles per gallon!

Forgive me, driven z if I have put more time into actually THINKING about this delemmia than you apparently have, but the ALTERNATIVE is for LESS GOVERNMENT REGULATION, and more ENGINE CHOICES.

Ranting over-regulating, emotionally-driven politicians with an agenda have driven the country down the WRONG PATH as it relates to TRUE fuel self-sufficiency, and for that matter, sustainable environmental responsibility.

But then again, sportsmen killing Bambi have always paid for more conservation efforts than any Sierra Club protester ever did... That's the irony about the whole situation. The people who DO actually just want to be left about their business to DO it without someone butting in and ordering them to do something.

Those that do the ordering, they usually go half-cocked into the situation, and get it totally wrong in retrospect.

Such is your situation on suggesting (he he hehaw haw haw) we all start riding bikes to save gasoline...

Yeah, riiiiight!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default .

Post Edited (Aug 30, 8:55pm)

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.