Tesla Motors: - Page 5 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z

LinkBack Thread Tools
#41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Tesla Motors:

Oh yeah, and a MUCH greater percentage of the electrical energy pumped into an electric car gets used to actually propel the car (~85%)than the chemical energy in gasoline in an ICE car (~33%)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said before, electric vehicles by and large are not practical. That's undeniable right now. All's I'm-a doing is shooting down some common misconceptions regarding them.
#43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 PM

Dan,
You keep forgetting the high losses between production, transmission, transformers, and chrging heat losses. At the CAR it's more efficient, BUT the inefficiencies are hidden too.

"...Always with the Corvair, rants about volumetric eff, adiabatic this and gearing that,lecture about thermostats, Z cars should be turning 4k rpm at highway cruising, everyone is an idiot and revel in your omnipotence. ..geez, its about having fun with
#44 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

The reason electric cars are impractical is RANGE. To get any kind of reasonable range you will need a HUGE and expensive battery pack.

An electric motor scooter, on the other hand, that might just work in the marketplace (Europe, anyway)...

>www.vectrixusa.com<

(dang, forgot how to make a linky...)
#45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 PM

I'm not about to debate wether or not MX-5's are chicks cars or not, as that's fairly obvious. I'm just saying that tiny sports cars aren't huge sellers unless in a niche market, like the MX-5 being a girls car for example. For the record that car has been called the MX-5 here in Australia ever since it existed, it was only the Miata in the U.S and they changed it why? Hmm, I wonder!

Anyway my only point was, most popular sports cars aren't so **** tiny. The Elise is a wicked car, but man it's just so small. I'm 6ft 4" aswell, and there's no chance in **** I can fit in an MX-5 or a car of similar size comfortably. I only JUST fit the Z31, and those cars are tons smaller than that. Check your posture and sit up straight :P

Make that car a normal size, and you watch it crawl and be just as sh!tty milage wise than any other electric car.

Post Edited (Jul 20, 7:40pm)
#46 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hybrid,
Even with those losses, electricity comes out yer wall at ~10c or less per kW-h. With all those losses electric is STILL way way cheaper than gasoline.

It's just not PRACTICAL (see above)
#47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 PM

Dan,
You forgot to compare STORAGE costs in the car.
A gas tank is something like $75 and lasts 20 years.
A battery pack costs something like $5,000-$10,000 and lasts maybe 2 years.

Just because a part of the system is cheaper, it does not mean that the cost per mile is cheaper.

"...Always with the Corvair, rants about volumetric eff, adiabatic this and gearing that,lecture about thermostats, Z cars should be turning 4k rpm at highway cruising, everyone is an idiot and revel in your omnipotence. ..geez, its about having fun with
#48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

300ZXT,

I just wonder why we can't have another 240SX. ~2700 lb., 2+2, coupe, decent power (with tons of potential).

Why must we continue to be presented with these SO-CALLED "sports" or "sporty" cars that are merely 4-door luxury sedans scrunched down into less practical but barely lighter-weight 2-seaters and 2+2's?!

Besides, in this country anyway, cars have become so huge they're almost cartoonish in appearance. I mean, look at a modern F150 vs. one from even the 80s or early 90s. Why do the new ones have to be so goddam HUGE?!
#49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

You should compare the cost of a battery pack with the gas tank PLUS the difference between the cost of gasoline and electricity over all the miles the electric can cover within its battery pack's lifetime.

Obviously comparing battery cost vs. gas tank cost isn't valid in any sense.
#50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:56 PM

From 5/06 Popular Mechanics:

Quote:
Vehicles that operate only on electricity require no warmup, run almost silently, and have excellent performance up to the limit of their range. Also, electric cars are cheap to "refuel." At the average price of 10 cents per kwh, it costs around 2 cents per mile. Electric cars can be recharged at night, when generating plants are underutilized.
Quote:
A strong appeal of the electric car--and of a hybrid when it's running on electricity--is that it produces no tailpipe emissions. Even when emissions created by power plants are factored in, electric vehicles emit less than 10 percent of the pollution of an internal combustion car.
Quote:
And then there's the environmental cost. Only 2.3 percent of the nation's electricity comes from renewable resources; about half is generated in coal-burning plants.
I love how you guys speculate without doing research.

Anyhow, I think the environmental impact (depleting coal resources) is a direct tradeoff of our depletion of oil resources, only this time we're not slaves to the Middle East. I'd rather lose some abundant natural resource that wasn't owned by a robe-donning tycoon with billions already in his name.

Nozzle first.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page