Serpentine Belt can fail inspection? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Serpentine Belt can fail inspection?

I'm a regular Z31'er but this question is about my other car, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD. The mechanic failed my NC inspection yesterday because my serpentine belt had a few cracks in the underside rubber that rides the pulley groove, although the top and side edges of the belt were
perfect, the belt had about 15k miles (1 1/2 years old) on it. My position was that most serpentine belts develop monor cracks underneath the belt, it's the top polester fiber that gives the belt its tension strength. The mechanic projected the belt would break some time in the future, but he would not guess when. Bottom line: new serpentine belt at $66 parts, $88 labor. I say I was ripped a new one! Your comments? PetJag (Greg)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 09:12 PM

Re: Serpentine Belt can fail inspection?

im not certain but i dont believe belts are part of the nc safety inspection.in fact i just went out and looked at my nc inspection report. nope no belts, you didnt pay this guy did you? $66 for a belt is about twice what that belt should cost and $88 for labor is ludicrous it takes about 20 min. to install that belt. i'd be calling the state on this guy, he never even kissed you first.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 09:52 PM

I don't know NC requirements, but I'd say..........

..........Snookered ! ! !

We get the same crap here (the people who have never looked under the hood) since the state turned the inspection over to the private stations.....AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHH.

If you can verify it as a not-to-be-checked item, complain to your dmv....especially if somewhere written it was "failed"....

If the inspector """Suggested""" it be replaced, you're sunk.

If they pull this stuff a lot, dmv will pull the license......Hohohoho

I'm not a Doctor, but .....I'll take a L00K !! MUUUUHAHAHAHAHA !!

...'77 280 ZEE-EEK.....If it's got Wheels.....It's gonna Cost Ya ! !
#4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:24 PM

I would say the mechanic "seduced the canine". If they can fail you for a serp belt, what else can they fail you for,,,no washer fluid? Vacuum lines, heater hoses, dirty battery cables?

I would have a talk with your local better business bureau and maybe even the state inspectors office to file a complaint!

79 GL coupe auto, temporarily down to only one
#5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:36 PM

I would drive by at night and put a brick thru the window.

1979 280ZX needs lots of TLC
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:40 PM

In NZ if you are driving a desiel engined vehicle, they will fail you for a bad altenator belt as the vaccum for the brakes is run off there
#7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where in NC and which inspection station? My best friend's dad owns Mr. Inspection. Had me passed with illegal tint and no ebrake.

Nozzle first.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:51 AM

The Plot Thickens...............

Coincidentally, after responding last night, I was "surprised" to find out on the news (ok, let's call it a "Told Ya".....) that the State of CT has suspended all emissions testing for 90 days.......

Items involved included.....

....bad software failing certain vehicles (they have already been required to reimburse certain vehicle owners for "unwarranted" repairs

....reports of bribery

....etc.... read the article.........

Mouse Here !

Hmmmm, too bad, mine's due this month ...hehehehehehe

Post Edited (Apr 22, 5:58am)

I'm not a Doctor, but .....I'll take a L00K !! MUUUUHAHAHAHAHA !!

...'77 280 ZEE-EEK.....If it's got Wheels.....It's gonna Cost Ya ! !
#9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:32 PM

My zxt failed Connecticut emissions twice last fall (NOX), just before I put it up for the winter. After the first failure I went over the entire EGR component system and verified that everything worked, but I still failed. Though I was not overly concerned about it, the fact that I had to pass emissions this spring did bother me all winter.

Then I heard that they have had a high number of false failed tests to the point that they had to shut down the program again this week . I was just about to restart my EGR validation testing too. Shucks, I'll have to concentrate on other Z tasks for a while!!

Phil
1981 280zxt
5-speed conversion, 3.9 R200, Eibach springs, Tokico struts, Energy Suspension, K&N CAI, Innovate WB, Cusco Strut Bar, Greddy B Spec II and POV, HKS BOV, 3" mandrel SS exhaust, Magnaflow, Spearco Intercooler, currently 12 psi
#10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:00 PM

$66????

That ridiculus, even from the dealer, **** i got mine for 15 from checker. DIY, its really not that hard.

do you have the 6cyl or V8?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page