a friend died the other night - Page 4 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 04:07 PM

Re: a friend died the other night

elaine i am in no way trying to place all the blame on the passengers....you are either misunderstanding me or trying to twist it around.i am speaking from experience......i have driven drunk...i have driven as a passenger when the driver was drunk.....i was drunker so i couldnt drive.i/we were very fortunate no to have killed anyone.i have long since stopped that type of behavior.when i speak about this incident believe me its easy for me to put myself in their place......and i do feel for ALL of them.what if the guys were more drunk than the girl....and the girl was the best driver at the time?there are so many scenarios that could have taken place it is infantile just to assume the girl is an evil person and needs to be punished.i sure as **** would not want my friends or amily punished over my death....why is that so hard to understand?dont i have the right to accept resposibility for my own actions of placing my life in some one elses hands?if i could forgive my friend for killing me why cant everyone else.to call this girl a murderer is appalling to me.....she may ery well be i dunno but i do not know what was on her heart that night.....unless youre GOD or she told you herself then you do not know either.....and it could be very sad accident with no real answer.if you want to punish someone because it makes you feel good then that is your own sickness....unfortunetly it is the majority of societys sickness as well.

an old gray man with a dog asleep at his feet plays an wore out fiddle full of melodies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 05:59 PM

What would have been the verdict in this thread if there was NO passengers in the car. She was driving alone and hit a car head-on with four children ages 1-7? What would be the verdict if those babies died and she lived? There would be a lynching plain and simple. I have absolutely NO respect for people who get under the influence of beer or otherwise and take that 3000 pound weapon down the road. If you are going to be irresponsible STAY AT HOME! Invite your buddies over buy a couple of kegs or what ever you like and PLAN for being drunk, take the keys away from your friends and have a drunken sleepover. There, now when you wake up you are not in handcuffs or in a county jail, you are home and no one had to die for your night of partying. There is no excuse, TAKE THE KEYS!!!

I live in North Idaho and have seen many lives taken by some irresponsible twit who could not make a good decision. One of my father's friends was killed by a man who "Got a snoot full" starting at 9:00 in the morining, by about 2:30 in the afternoon he decided to go and drive his truck home. This was no a pickup either, this was a logging truck, there were reports of him swirving and speeding until he capped the top on a hill, passed out and rammed my father's friends pickup head-on. The amazing story is that two cars back from his pickup was a fully loaded school bus. My dad's friend was going home on his last day of work and was looking forward to a nice retirement, well I guess that that was just a dream. A European exchange student from Estonia told us that if it had happened in his country, they would have locked him up and waited for anywere from a year to twenty years to execute him, he would never know when it was comming. The man was serving five years in prison and is now out.

So, this beggs the question: What would have happened if that girl would have hit this hypothetical car with four children? Is she a missguided youth? Is she a monster? What about those children that will not experience falling in love, going to a movie or even driving an automobile? Would you just let her go to do it again? Or would you punish her for HER BAD CHOICES?

Well if she is let go without punishment from the 2000 VW Jetta this hypothetical accident that I laid out before you all could come to pass...

Post Edited (Feb 19, 3:03pm)

1980 280ZX GL, T-Tops, K&N air filter, Slightly modified exhaust.
190k miles on original motor! Looking forward to building a new motor.

"You can only go as fast as the sunday drivers in front of you"
#33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
JR

Went to an AA thing with my brother once and these various people got up to speak. The first was a young woman who told about how her father had been run down by a hit-and-run drunk driver and left to die bleeding in the street. Of course, she and half the audience were sobbing by the time she was done. The next speaker, a youngish guy, comes up to the microphone and starts off with, "I'm the guy who killed her father. . . "
Holy moley, there wasn't a dry eye in the place after that. It was one of the most powerful things I've ever seen. All this had happened years before but this guy had been devastated by what he'd done (I think he hit a tree or something later was how they caught him — he didn't remember running the person down at all) that he committed to keep doing these seminars long after he had paid his fines and whatever other legal dues and community service he'd been assigned. As I recall, I think he said he would never drive again, although I don't know if that was voluntary or part of his sentence.
People ARE accountable for their actions. Let's hope the young girl in the case where your friend was killed comes out of this one way or the other to lead a more useful and meaningful life because of what she did.

#34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 07:24 PM

tony you know there is no way to compare a child molester to this 16 year old girl.you know i dont believe in mercy for everyone.ocasionally there are those who deserve mercy.maybe she does maybe she doesnt.---btw i hope i didnt offend you with the italian thing...wasnt meant that way.
dr.bogenboom----that scenario would definatly change things.but we are suppose to be innocent until proven guilty....and she didnt hit those kids yet and maybe she will come to her senses.....if it happens again to her i would still feel sorry for her but would have no mercy left to show her.---in the case with hitting another vehicle those people had no choice...if youre in the same vehicle and you knew ahead of time then you do bear some of the responsibility.obviosly if youre an innocent person in an oncoming vehicle thats another story.
ilya--i am very glad you keep youre head when youre drunk and drive the speed limit...seriously that is a ood thing...that is what an experienced drunk does.just give up drinking and driving all together.....its totally not worth it as you can plainly see...this could have easily been you.----for what?
bama- i hope you dont think i am trashing youre friends.believe me i am not.
honestly i have a friend that i grew up with....one of those rare true friends.he has at least one dwi(circumstances) he has a family(live gf with 2 stepkids) he has a very good job....and he keeps drinking and driving...not trashed but still...there is no talking to him about it....it suks.i know a girl that i really really like....in the past she wrecked her truck due to be drunk(denied it but i know she was) no record but still dangerous.....she is so f'in cool but her being so irresposible about driving is a big problem....honestly i am just not cool eneough for her...ive no plans on changing in that way either....i worry about her alot and there is absolutely nothing i can do.shes 26 and she knows better...just like my friend...it suks.
it is easy for a young person to believe it wont happen to them we all know that....but it seems equally as easy for people to show no mercy to anyone because even though we have gotten older we STILL believe it wont happen to us or our loved ones...just because we may not drink and drive we do exceed the speed limit on accaisions....and just because we were speeding does not always make us guilty.

an old gray man with a dog asleep at his feet plays an wore out fiddle full of melodies...
#35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 07:33 PM

what if the 16 year old girl was riding with 30 year old guys and she had never dranked or smoked weed before......what if she tried really hard to be cool....maybe she hated argueing ....what if she was your daughter?how would your daughter handle herself in a similar situation?----things are worth looking at....you cannot always just say off with her/his head.who knows maybe she was evil times ten and she manipulated some young guys into riding with her......things are just worth considering and mercy shown if applicable.

#36 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 PM

All I am saying is be responsible drink at home plan to be stupid. I am not saying "Off with her head," but if you break a law there is a punishment due, be it five years or fifty years. You are responsible for your own actions and say if I robbed a bank because you told me to, then guess who would go to jail: not you.
What I see is that if you are drunk and get behind the wheel you are breaking a law put into place to protect everyone and if a person wants to be self-destructive then play Russian Roulette, because at least you are not taking anyone else with you.
I do feel compassion for the driver, but I feel more compassion for the victims, the ones that she is yet to kill. The fault is not ours to place, but a court of law that in impartial. We cannot get on our "soap box" and proclaim our eternal infinite wisdom and tell others "what is the correct view," I leave that to the court. My opinion is that "You are responsible" no amount of peer pressure, ignorance or blaming it on the "devil" is an excuse. If I got drunk and ran someone over I would expect and deserve what ever the court threw at me, I would know that I was stupid and after my debt was paid I would never do that again. Again, there is NO EXCUSE FOR DRIVING DRUNK, call a taxi, designate a driver or get drunk at home, but NEVER drive drunk. GET THE KEYS, CALL A CAB, BE RESPONSIBLE.

Post Edited (Feb 19, 5:40pm)

1980 280ZX GL, T-Tops, K&N air filter, Slightly modified exhaust.
190k miles on original motor! Looking forward to building a new motor.

"You can only go as fast as the sunday drivers in front of you"
#37 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 10:59 PM

victims.

i dont mean to sound cruel and heartless,but TonyD is dead on.everything in our society is geared towards making weak people.a couple kids get high and go racing triple digits down the road and wipe out and one dies.WHO'S RESPONSIBLE?heres the facts

1.the stupid girl chose to do drugs
2.the stupid girl chose to drive under the influence
3.the stupid girl chose to drive at triple digit speeds
4.the stupid girl had a pair of stupid friends who chose to get in the car with a stupid burnout behind the wheel.

someone mentioned inexperience.you cant cite inexperience.if she was too inexperienced,she would have been dumb and thus,the State should be sued for giving a dummy a driver's liscense,but we all know that she knew better and chose to go against what she knows and so that makes her stupid.

should she go to jail?no.roadside execution.taxpayers should not have to pay for the stupid.

but you victims and your courts will attempt to take away from people the very thing they need.RESPONSIBILITY.if people knew that they would be held responsible for their actions,they would not make so many stupid choices.you victims would be interested in this girl's childhood and what made her tick so as to see why she was high and intoxicated so much. i guess her being emotionally unstable or mental makes it okay for her to get high and kill people.i guess just because some guy gets molested by his uncle 30 years ago,i guess that removes responsibilty from him when he snatches your kid out of the mall,porks her and kills her.i guess because the kid was under 18,it made it okay for him to kill his 6 yr old neighbor.i guess since he was too young to really understand and because he was so impressionable that he's not responsible for blowing DC area woman's head open with his sniper rifle.

you are a victim.people cut you off all the time in traffic.you swerved to avoid a car that pulled out in front of you,went offroad and hit a tree(and no,the car didnt even stop).you take what CNN says as gospel.you ride along quietly when terrorist take over your plane with boxcutters hoping that they wont hurt you.you get passing grades in school because the politicians tell the teacher to pass your dumb a$$ so as not to hurt your feelings.and when someone does something really bad to you(like rape you,rob you,cheat you)you want to know why.

(note:i am not talking to anyone specific...this is just a FYI post.so if you get offended,guess what?you're a victim and its not my fault.)

Ballistic, Ruler of Interstates, God of Roads Stage XX+ 1993 Z32 NA Wideboy Edition
#38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 11:36 PM

(Thread Starter)

talked to friend cop and i guess she was doing 110 on a 55 mph road. there was weed, alcohol and cocaine in her system. she wasn't really hurt inthe wreck. all the firemen, ambulance drivers and troopers lifted the car and she had to pull my dead friend out from underneath..i couldn't imagine. she goes to court in a few days to bet old of possible charges against her. i will keep you all posted on what they decide.

#39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 12:19 AM

Did I make that comparison?

No, I did not. I simply stated that facts are facts, and that many of the people we let go after first, second, or even a THIRD offense are in a pattern that will repeat NO MATTER WHAT WE DO.

Sixteen? Sad, but killing someone? I have really no qualm about whacking her quickly, and publicly. This will make people think "is what I am about to do really really really worth it? Is it worth my LIFE?"

Japan has some of the most draconian and arbitrary drunk driving laws on the face of the planet in a free democratic society. The result is an EXTREMELY low drunk driving death rate, and overall low to non-existant drunk driving problem.

PUNISHMENT works. Rehabilitation does NOT. It has been proven. Some things you CAN NOT change. In these cases, severe punishment or death is the ONLY viable option.

Hence Child Molesters, Drunk Drivers, Murderers, etc...

When you're dead, it's pretty hard to re-offend. Some might say impossible. This serves society's ends by making it safer for ALL of us. Therefore I support it.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
-Ecclesiastes 1:9 and that means SEARCH, NOOB!

Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
#40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 12:23 AM

You know what? Yes you can!

In a civilized society, parents will turn over their miscreant youth for correctional activities. If the penalty is death, for a egregious incident, regretably, so be it.
Free will is a bitch. It entails responsibility. EVERYONE is responsible for their actions. E V E R Y O N E. No free rides. You play, you pay.

Everything you mentioned is an EXCUSE. The facts of the matter is someone was driving drunk, and if she didn't offer to drive the car, or the dude was all macho and refused to let here drive, nobody held a gun to her head to be an accessory to the crime.

I was not some stupid kid like that, and I don't expect other kids to be, either.
Expect less from your children, and they will rise to meet your expectations.
Expect more from your children, and be amazed they rise even higher.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
-Ecclesiastes 1:9 and that means SEARCH, NOOB!

Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page