ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

240z -Chevy 350 conversion, how difficult?

51K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  pellius 
#1 ·
I would like to know how difficult (or how easy) it is to swap a 350 into a 71-73 240z.

Answer as many or as few as you like, and I have plenty of time to think this all over, so don't feel rushed :)

1. 1-10, relative to other cars, how difficult is this specific job?
2. How much would it cost me, if I decided to have it done for me?
3. Will I need to cut into the fenders or the firewall(dunno if there even is one)?
4. How much will my milage decrease?
5. What kind of engine would be optimal for this kind of thing?
6. Any other ideas/precautions/tips?

#5 ·
1 The job isn't all that difficult if you buy your motor mounts, and other swap necessities already pre-fabbed from a company like Jags That Run. They print a great swap manual that has clear and concise instructions.

2 Kinda like asking how much a paint job will cost,,,,,anywhere from $500 if yopu have the motor/parts and do it yourself, up to $10,000+ if you buy a crate motor and have someone do it for you.

3 No

4 Mileage should actually increase a bit with correct gearing.

5 Chevy 350 is the easiest to find/buy and is the most popular, so aftermarket will be plentiful, and experienced swap help will be available. If I were to do a swap, I would go with a Ford 5.0 from a Mustang GT.

6 If you are looking for more power and speed, check into a turbo swap for the inline 6.

#7 ·
Any old POS SBC will give you a POS swap. If you really want to do it right you will spend $$$ just like any other resto/swap project. If you want cheap, go another route. Nothing is cheaper than factory power - in $$$ and time.

#8 ·
said above "Good luck. I loved my sbc '71z. Lots of power and show-off potential. Not nearly as fast as a turbo six, though..."

When we finish our supercharged LS1 it will be 750+ hp and faster than a turbo 6. You just have to want to make the big hp and spend big $$$ with the v8 and not some stocker sbc with only 350 hp.

If we end up going turbo on our 3.2 stroker 6 its gonna be a STS rear mounted turbo that will make around 600 hp, so either way we go its gonna be good. aint no way im putting a turbo up front on a restricted stock manifold and all that heat up front (thats old school and less efficient design compared to rear mounted).

if your gonna do a v8, for **** sakes dont throw some low hp one in there.

Post Edited (Aug 2, 9:05pm)

#10 ·
lol... I love bench racing. I meant MY sbc z was not nearly as fast as a turbo six.

When I finish spending thirty thousand dollars on my turbo six and sink another twenty into the suspension, it will have a zillion+ horsepower and be waaaay faster than any old blown v8. I think I can get into the sixes easy. On street tires and pump gas.

1. 9+ - hand-built fabrication bumper-to-bumper and professional dyno tuning
2. $75,000 - including car, engine, drivetrain, chassis strengthening, bulletproof rear end, suspension, and bodywork
3. You only have to cut the firewall to fit a big block
4. Expect less than 1 mile per gallon with your foot in it; and you will probably be running race gas or higher
5. Sky is the limit. Check your bracket rules
6. yes/bring money, time, and professional help/do lots of research before buying

j/k

Good luck and enjoy your project.

There is always someone faster, so what's the point...

#11 ·
1: i have a dyno tuner and pay him plenty
2: i have no problem dropping mega $$$ into any car
3: sawzall handy
4: i already have 2 cars that use race gas now and get lousy mpg and my gas bill now per month is 1k+, no big deal
5: no bracket rules in street racing
6: no problem with any of these either.

i think im covered for anything i want to do

Pellius, nice links to your project specs and engine pictures.

Post Edited (Aug 3, 5:23pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.