No Juice this morning - Page 3 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Fairly easy to check for a high current leak from alty. Put a DC ammeter between the battery terminal and the ground connector. You'll see greater than 1 amp current draw. Now pull the fusible links one at a time until the draw stops and note the circuit. Other way is to disconnect the connectors behind the passenger headlamp area...one of those goes to the alty ( I just don't remember which one).

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
'91 2+2 101k miles, Chromed OEM Wheels, Chrome Plenum, JSPEC Clear Corners, Toyo Proxes 4's, U/D Pulley, Custom Mod'd Control Pods - White LED Lighting with Blue LED Indicators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzack View Post
Fairly easy to check for a high current leak from alty. Put a DC ammeter between the battery terminal and the ground connector. You'll see greater than 1 amp current draw. Now pull the fusible links one at a time until the draw stops and note the circuit. Other way is to disconnect the connectors behind the passenger headlamp area...one of those goes to the alty ( I just don't remember which one).
Thanks.

A DC ammeter. Like one of those clamp on deals. i don't have one.

90 2+2
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpulldown View Post
Thanks.

A DC ammeter. Like one of those clamp on deals. i don't have one.
Clamp on is for AC usually. Just need a decent digital multimeter, most can measure up to 5 DC Amps or so...

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
'91 2+2 101k miles, Chromed OEM Wheels, Chrome Plenum, JSPEC Clear Corners, Toyo Proxes 4's, U/D Pulley, Custom Mod'd Control Pods - White LED Lighting with Blue LED Indicators

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Pretty Sad. FIVE months and I am now working on this. I have started the car a couple of times since the beigning of this post. Last time maybe 6 weeks ago. She fires on the first crank.
Got the garage cleared out and ready to work. "Welcome broken down Z, please enter."

Spent night 1 tearing it down. I know that I did not need to pull the fascia, but I had other things that needed to get done, including a new cover. Been a while since I pulled it. Took way too long to do, including all of the splash shields.

Mocked up my new bumper. IF you have ever seen my Z you will know that I had a black aftermarket OEM styled TT bumper cover. It was terrible. Fitment was poor, and I just left it black. Bought this one MANY years ago. Finally time to mount. It is a JDM OEM TT. Big square bumper holes for the front license plate mount. I am going to install a front plate. Though I have never been pulled over for not having one, I do go through the California agricultural inspection station often when returning from Reno. With a Ca front plate they just wave you through. Without they ask a bunch of questions. I like to be as legal as possible with my older age.

Finally I have the Alternator out. What a PITA. I knew going into it that it was going to be a battle. Nothing on the Z is easy.

My question is should I get the Alternator tested at my local auto parts store. Is there any reason to suspect that my lack of charging was due to something other than the Alt.

I am planning on buying the new Alternator that was linked earlier in this thread.

90 2+2

Last edited by mrpulldown; 07-19-2016 at 03:00 PM.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 PM

Don't waste time testing it, just get a new one. Went thru the effort to get out so just upgrade.

PS. Dont forget to duct tape the nut for the re-install. Makes it much easier when you don't have to deal with the nut falling while wrestling the alty into place.

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just bought the new alty from your link. $162.30.

I took the old one to O'Reilyes and had it tested. TOTAL FAIL. At start up it shook the testing unit (bad bearing). Only made 8 volts and no "lamp on".

That is good. If it was functioning perfect I would have been left scratching my head.

Now I have a Z in my garage bay for a bit longer. Remember how I said the Rear main seal that I replaced XX # of years ago was still holding. Well The tranny back is all covered with oil. Oh well, I needed the tranny rebuilt anyways.

As I said in my first post: "The joys of owning a 25 year old sports car."

I think I am going to re'clock my drive shaft while I wait for the new Alt.

On a side note. I just finished my buddy bike. Want to come over and ride.

90 2+2
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:47 AM

There ya go!

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to keep the Z or get something else? Want a t-top or convertible If I change out?

Basically put more $$$ into the Z (upgrade wheels and shoes) or spend it someplace else????

Not in any rush either!

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
At this point in my life the Z jsut doesn't bring me as much joy as it once did. I guess having 2 kids changes how you view things. However I have so much time and money in this car, and there is hardly any resale value that it would be stupid of me to get rid of it.

My dad currently has 5 cars at his house. He wants to get rid of some and looking at me. I really don't need anymore old cars, but how can one say no.

90 2+2
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:40 PM

I'm just the opposite of you. My kids are now adults and the 2+2 back seat no longer makes sense. Would like for one of my kids to take the car but none really have the time or space for it. (LoL, sound familiar?)

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh well. I 'll get this thing running and start smoking tires again.

90 2+2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page