ZCar Forum banner

1990 300 zx 2+2 T-top. Need Help

839 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mrpulldown 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 300 zx I bought a couple months ago. Its in pretty good condition but i ran into a mechanical problem. Long story short, My car in stuck in security mode. My mechanic is becoming more unreliable and i am wanting to get my car fixed very soon seeing how its been about a month now with it being out of use. My mechanic has made two house calls to trouble shoot and figure out the problem. We discovered that I wasnt getting a spark in the coils if i am remembering that correctly. So he found a new ignition chip for me and replaced it and thats when we discovered that my car was in security mode along with still getting no spark. After that its been more than difficult for me to get my car sent into his shop. From talking to him his theory is that the second ignition chip thats in the harness of the car is bad as well as needing to get my car out of security mode. My neighbor who works on cars said he has a way to reset my car and that could take my car out of security mode. I live rocklin/roseville area. If you have a shop or know a shop that knows whats going on with my car and would like to help me get it back on the road that would be great. I was told it would be about 500 dollars to fix my car but i am no longer sure about that. along with those problems there are two belts that broke which i have already bought they just need to be installed. I hope one of you guys can help me or even give me some more information to help me.

#2 · (Edited)
Did the car just not start one day or did this issue happen after some work was done?

There could be a few things causing this issue. Unfortunately trouble shooting involves ruling out issues piece by piece. Have you tried pulling the car's trouble codes - something you can do yourself? No need to buy anything either for this.

- Could be a bad PTU - module that fires the coil packs for spark. Is that the "chip" that was replaced?

- Could be an issue with CAS - sensor that detects the position of the engine's internal position. Tells the coil packs and injectors when to fire.

- Could be an issue with the car's control computer (ECU).

- Could be an issue with under hood relays not working. Have all fuses been checked especially those in the engine bay?

FYI - If this was an issue with the car's security system that should cause the car NOT to even try and start/turnover. Is the car turning over - if so, doubt its the security system. Note- I'm assuming your car is stock, has NO aftermarket alarm system. Stock alarm system just disables the car's starter.

#3 ·
These guys are a self procalimed Z shop in your area.
http://www.drivenauthoritymotorsports.net/

i would not even know where to start armchair diagnosing your car. For starters I do not know what an "ignition chip" refers to.

From my experience with these cars, best to learn and work on them yourself, everyone else will either rip you off on purpose or by accident due lack of knowledge; even dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.