What happened to Kandy? - Page 3 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: What happened to Kandy?

Once, long ago, I used to build big HP 4x4 trucks for offroading. My last truck had 10 grand in the suspension alone. Built motor, built transmission, swapped to bigger stronger axles, bought everything the writers in the 4x4 mags said I would need to make my rig bulletproof. And one day, after 8 years, she was completed. But the paint was too nice, the bodywork too straight, the stereo too expensive, the parts too rare and sought after...

...to ever drive that truck offroad.

I drive that truck 100 miles and sold it. I swore to myself that I would never again build anything that I could not drive whereever I wanted to go.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadoran300zx
holy cŪ@p!

I could've never done that... SPECIALLY not over a broken pulley... #3LL NO!
Its not about the pulley...think of this. Lets say i keep my z around. After a year or two of beating on my engine (ofcourse i would, thats why i make it fast) the engine will at some point need a rebuild. When i do things, i do them big. So theres about 10k into an engine rebuild. Not too mention a better clutch to hold the power. At that power range theres not a good single disk clutch, so id be looking at a dual or triple disk. Theres another 2k. I can no longer justify that. Some people think im crazy for doing this but in my opinion its one of the smarter things ive done. Itll give me a chance to hop into something i can just enjoy and no longer dedicate my life to.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zinistr

I'd love to see a pic of that broken crank pulley...must have been one helluva belt!
2009 NISMO Edition 370Z, Silver - #196
zinistr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

Hey Kandy...

I'm feelin you man! Last week, after my car left me sitting on the side of the road on a cold ass windy night 25 miles from home, I have started to have similar considerations.

While probably not the monster your car is, she is very fast, but all my problems really started when I started looking for big HP numbers. I am seriously considering selling it and going into a G35 or 350Z that is mostly stock. Something I don't have to **** around or tinker with all the time to keep it running right. I am not going to decide for awhile, probably not til spring. But it is a serious possibility...
maxxaction is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have had those thought on more than one occasion. I remember right after a complete build, less than 500 miles on break in and I spun a bearing. Of course the machine shop that had their hand in it took responsibility for their mistake and warrantied their work, but the labor of getting it out and broken down was on me. That really took the wind out of my sail at that point, so it took me almost 1 1/2 years to finish. Now it sits under a cover in the garage 9 months out of the year in the garage.

What keeps me going with this car is, the endless amount of compliments I get when I do take it out. In the 11 or so years I've owend it, I've gone from bone stock to supercharged to TT then to bigger TT. With having gone through 5 or 6 engines and each one better than the last, and around 58-60k in to the car since I bought it, I know I would never get this money back. For me it's the pride to be able to explain what all has been done and more importantly done by YOURSELF.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
For me it's the pride to be able to explain what all has been done and more importantly done by YOURSELF.
couldn't have said it better 8)
Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Hmmmmm It's a choice.. between Driving & wrenching......

I like both, but I have to say as my personal odometer clicks up.. I farm more of the DYI out.... ( and am dissapointed more often than not! ) given an option I would much rather drive than wrench... but can't have one without the other ( on this car ) ....

Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinistr
Bummer...didn't see that coming. I was enjoying the progress updates. Real shame to pull her apart after all that work.
Really? i could have predicted it in my sleep. As soon as i heard he was doing the JZ swap i said to myself that car is done. Nothing against Kandy but when you are never satisfied and are always dinken with the car, it never seems to stack up to the expectation. I am suprised he lasted this long. Davey is right, the swap was a lateral swap from the beginning, Why wouldnt' anyone be satisfied with a car like Daveys or Zins or Mega's PLENTY of farkin power!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Why do it.......Because, you can!

Making it " better " or " customizing" we ALL do... it's just to what level your addiction is " manageable "

Mike
Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

ITs not the car its the thought process of the owner. You said it yourself Kanday, you do things big. Doesnt' matter what you buy from now on, if you haven't learned from your past mistakes you will be doomed to repeat them. Our mistakes are never being satisfied with what we have currently. I find myself getting pulled towards bigger injectors, more this, more that, every day. You gotta exercise some restraint, otherwise you end up like Michael Jackson buying crap not because you need it or it will benefit you in any way, its buy crap simply becasue you can. He bought a Dr. that would never say "no" and it killed him. (over-dramatized to make a point LOL) A few years ago it would not have mattered if i would have bought that G35... i would have tried to make that overweight ugly pig have 500hp. Then i'd be stuck with an ugly granpa sports sedan/coupe with 700 dollar payments. A little restraint goes a long way, i still have my car with no payment, no mecanical problems, great and reliable and it has 4-5 hundred HP and its do for a 5speed swap and then i will just drive and injoy it like i have since my build almost 4 years ago.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.