Sudden and profound blowing of black smoke and 5 mpg - Page 6 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #51 (permalink)

Default Re: Sudden and profound blowing of black smoke and 5 mpg

Another thought.....
Is the dash check engine light stuck on as well?

Is there a jumper in the consult connector?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #52 (permalink)

Vigman, your post is a nice set up to look at the ECU port names/numbers and then flip down to the .gif to trace wires. Have to bookmark that or maybe the two will be put it in FAQ.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #53 (permalink)

Once again I am in awe of how **** nice and helpful all you guys are. I feel very compelled to learn all this much better - and for that I am grateful. I will not be at the car until the 20th or so of Dec. The guides and the code checking guide or very nice.

Could it be possible, that the ECU itself is the entire problem? I'm having trouble determining just how it might have gotten bad - but I did have at one time the floorboard wet over the heater core going bad.

What doesn't make sense is how quick I found that problem, and the little time the floorboard had been wet as a result. I suppose it's entirely possible the ECU might have been damaged but the car was driven another 2 years after without issue.
templars83 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by templars83
Could it be possible, that the ECU itself is the entire problem?
Yes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #55 (permalink)

It's the ECU or wiring TO the ECU.... I haven't found an post which directly parrots your problem... but if the car RUNS, it's smart enough to go to limp home mode.. which means it's not totally brain dead... but it has a sever concussion... I would hate to have you buy a new( er ) ECU and have the same issue... so try the voltage test(s) when you have time.. that might tell a story... if everything looks good, then sub ECU's.. If I had to bet the farm.. I would bet ECU ( so if that doesn't fix the issue you have a spare.. and spare's are GOOD, if you got a good spare ).

Opening the ECU & inspecting= no cost
Measuring edge connections & cleaning= no cost
And will give you good pointers...

The other option is if you have an older laptop, you can get freeware versions of ECU talk or Conzult... ( you will need the test adaptor & cables ) ..
and MAYBE the ECU is still talking...

So that's my thinking.

Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigman
Max,

Im having difficulty with the lost a ground theory.... depending on how high the resistance of the bad ground.. I would think the injectors wouldn't fire.. or would be minimized... the fuel has gone the otherway and is running rich. I further suspect that the ECU ground is common to the chassis of the ECU can... but I will have to check on that..

A spike, maybe... an overvoltage from funky alt/ bad diode ( ac ripple on DC output ) .. maybe.

But the ECU is the prime suspect...
Mike
The reason I mentioned a lost ground is the ECU has multiple grounding points for each of the functions of the output groupings. It would be a long shot but if the ECU is fault grounding it may not be providing the correct output voltage to the grouping of sensors the ground feeds. Its like a bad taillight ground. The bulb will light but it will be dim. Like I said its a long shot but the only way to tell is to test each pinout to the sensors to see if the voltage output is per spec. Like yourself and others here I am very suspect of the ECU itself. The only way to tell for sure is to test the sensor output voltage.
MaxDoc
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #57 (permalink)

Right.... I agree.. I'll look at my spare ECU tonight and measure the grounds... if nothing else we will have a new pearl of wisdom...

Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #58 (permalink)

And if one of the body grounds got wet in the ECU area corrosion may have taken its toll. There's a lot of functional relays, etc fed from one fused wire lead (B/R) that have to go to ground thru the ECU, as does a lot on the ZXs that don't feed voltage thru a switch but release current thru a switch (ECU) to ground. Probably stating the obvious but it it helps templars83......
Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #59 (permalink)

YA know, I do not remember if there is a local ground wire that nails to chassis right at the ECU....
Hmmmmmmmmm...

Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigman
YA know, I do not remember if there is a local ground wire that nails to chassis right at the ECU....
Hmmmmmmmmm...

Mike
BINGO Mike!!!! Nice find.....Pin ten, and twenty .... Pin 10 and 20 are a dedicated ground for the ECU Pin 10 just happens to be in the grouping that covers the AC, AIV solenoid, and AAC valve. Pin 20 is in the grouping that covers the radiator fan, ECU power, and AT control unit. Now Pin 60 is also a ground that covers the CAS, TPS, O2s, MAF and Det sensors. I would look at pin 10 and 20 first then move to pin 60.

MaxDoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.