1990 300zx overheating problem - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1990 300zx overheating problem

i bought a 1990 Nissan 300zx about 3 months ago..in that 3 months i have replaced the fan clutch , the fan, the auxillary fan, thermostat, waterpump, and i have had the entire system flushed with no results with the over heating problem...does anyone have any other suggestions besides take it to a shop??

thanks for any replys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:07 AM

Re: 1990 300zx overheating problem

Is it drinking coolant, is it disappearing? Just getting hot WITH coolant inside is a bit tougher to figure out.You have replaced all that I could think of. NK

I once worked at a real Datsun dealer. Training at Nissan Gardena was the best any car dealer had, in my opinion. Norm K.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Check between the coolant radiator and AC radiator for stuck trash bags and such. Vigman called this out to someone haveing a similar problem and was spot on.

If human beings were like Z cars, we would all be going to the doctor a lot more often.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If your not loosing coolant...
Stuff in radiator, stuck stat ( you did that ).. lower hose collapsing ....

Will it idle fine ( no over heat )?

If you drive it easy (surface streets ) will it over heat?

Does it NOT overheat when it's cool outside? ( where do you live?)

Does the system build pressure? ( drive it up & down the street ) and does the upper hose FEEL like is has pressure?

Have you pressure tested the system?

Do you SMELL coolant?

Do you have the factory fan shroud in?

Mike

91 2+2 5 spd TT conversion.... boost controller.. so far.
90 2+2 Auto N/A ( the car the kid stole! ) SOLD
#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 PM

is your temp sensor accurate?
#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM

(Thread Starter)

Will it idle fine ( no over heat )? if im sitting in the drive way not moving it will not over heat just when i drive it</p>

If you drive it easy (surface streets ) will it over heat? after awhile yes</p>

Does it NOT overheat when it's cool outside? ( where do you live?) its the same no matter what the temp is, i live in indiana</p>

Does the system build pressure? ( drive it up &amp; down the street ) and does the upper hose FEEL like is has pressure? yes i have a radiator cap that i can release pressure on and thats what i usuallly do when it over heats real bad</p>

Have you pressure tested the system? no, but i will</p>

Do you SMELL coolant? sometimes</p>

Do you have the factory fan shroud in? yes does the fan shroud make that much of a difference?</p>
#7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:15 PM

(Thread Starter)

my temp sensor is good
#8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Looks like the next step is pressure testing the system - hopefully this is not a headgasket issue (but sounds like it might be based on all the other things you've done)....

FYI - There a nice little self-tester available that can check for HG issues, I don't have the link handy but this explains it:

......A combustion leak detection kit will give you a fairly definitive answer. This kit includes a container that holds a chemical which reacts to the presence of hydrocarbons (exhaust gasses) in the radiator. The container is connected to a vacuum source, then placed over the radiator neck. Air from the radiator is drawn through the detection liquid, which turns color (yellow in this case) in the presence of exhaust gas.</p> The only way exhaust gas is present in a radiator is if the head gasket is blown. Ergo, the liquid changes color, you're looking at a new head gasket at the very least. You can probably find the kit at an auto parts store; I found mine for about $30 USD at a tool store, but prices ranged upwards of about $45-$50 at the auto parts stores.....

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
'91 2+2 99k miles, Chromed OEM Wheels, Chrome Plenum, JSPEC Clear Corners, Toyo Proxes 4's, U/D Pulley, Custom Mod'd Control Pods - White LED Lighting with Blue LED Indicators
#9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 03:55 PM

If the stock fan shroud is good.. yes leave it in..
Is your lower hose SOFT?

If it was me I would pull the radiator, and make SURE there is no crap trapped between the A/C condenser and the front of the radiator..
and make sure the lower hose doesn't collapse.

THEN I would do the pressure test for the system...

How &amp; where do you smell coolant?

Mike

91 2+2 5 spd TT conversion.... boost controller.. so far.
90 2+2 Auto N/A ( the car the kid stole! ) SOLD
#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 AM

(Thread Starter)

so im buying a radiator and seein if that will fix it...cross your fingers everyone
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page