remove front strut nut - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
remove front strut nut

ok I am trying to replace springs on my front struts. I have the strut out and compressed the springs, but cannot remove the strut nut, as it is turning with the strut! How are you supposed to unbolt it????

--
1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2009 Nissan 370Z Base Sports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Re: remove front strut nut

Mine had flat spots for a wrench on the shaft. But I used an electric impact gun.

1990 N/A slightly modified.
"itsa300zx" on TT net
#3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Pipe wrench... if you're replacing it anyway.

Everybody gets one freebie. After that, you better figure out how to search...
Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Air tool. I had the same problem. That broke it loose and then I finished with hand tools.

Be careful working with those manual spring compressors. I've heard stories.

If I had a Z, it'd be silver... no... BLACK...
#5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There is a little flat spot on the top of the shock shaft that I was able to grab with a set of vice grips. Is is really small like 7mm. The hard part is the nut. The nut is a 17mm however it is 2 or three inches down on the threaded shaft. I am not sure what these guys are talking about using an impact gun. maybe I am confused on the part they/you are talking about. But if I think i know what you are talking about you can not get a socket over the nut and hold the top of the shaft to keep it from spinning at the same time. Instead you either need a through socket, or a offest ratcheting box wrench.

You can do it with jsut an open wrench but it will take you days to un thread the nut.

90 2+2
#6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 PM

(Thread Starter)

Well I tried to use vice grips to hold the strut while trying to loosen the nut and stripped the crap out of the threads, it looks like this strut is toast! ARGH

I have no idea how I am going to remove the spring now. I want to try and reuse some of the parts when I get a new strut.

BTW it looks like the OEM TT struts are no longer avail! No more adjustable struts for us... KYB AGX I guess?

--
1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2009 Nissan 370Z Base Sports
#7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

FWIW - Never tried it for this application, but they do have a tool for splitting nuts (ie, nut splitter). You can do the same thing with a Dremel cut-off wheel or other types of Dremel cutting bits...

Here's another way to do it -- use a Dremel grinding bit to make 2 flat spots on the end of the shaft (opposite each other). That should allow for a good grip with locking pliers -- then loosen the nut a turn or so and it may give enough room for it to be cut off/split?...

And yes, the Nissan OEM TT parts have been in short supply for a while -- AGXs are a good alternative...

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
'91 2+2 100k miles, Chromed OEM Wheels, Chrome Plenum, JSPEC Clear Corners, Toyo Proxes 4's, U/D Pulley, Custom Mod'd Control Pods - White LED Lighting with Blue LED Indicators
#8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 AM

I loosen the nut (not all the way of course) before compressing the spring. This keeps the tension on the cap and the shaft. Once at the end of the threaded section, I compress the springs and finish taking the nut off.

1990 300zx Twinturbo
1990 300ZX NA
1993 300ZX Slicktop
1990 300ZX NA
1990 300ZX Twinturbo parts car
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Yep, the same as I do. I also use an air impact wrench to spin it quickly.

*-- Just some stuffy advice from a crabby old fart who's too set in his ways. --*
#10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Same as Woody and JT^^^

i got one of the last sets from Coz at the rediculous low cost of 298 bucks. a few months after i bought he had like three pairs left or something and the cost went through the roof.

Veritas Aequitas
Surf Snowboard and Mountainbike......in the same day!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page