fuel pressure loss 86 na z31 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question fuel pressure loss 86 na z31

ive replaced the fuel pump the, all hoses on rail and regulator and car just wont stay running after prime. thought it was strange because the car sounds mechanically sound when turned over but after fuel pump prime it loses pressure. after i installed the fuel pressure gauge i realized it was only getting 25psi at prime. thats when i replaced the rubbers on the rails because the had a stronge fuel smell. after replaceing those i now get 38 at prime and after prime in falls quickly to about 15. im going to start volt testing and see if useing a jumper for the fuel pump changes anything today. i have a strong idea that its a ecu problem or the fuel module. just posting to see if anyone has ever had this problem. any advice will be greatly apreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
put a new fpr in there before you do much else.

86T, 350 Nismo 08 (#1415) gone but fondly remembered 81T, 83T, 83, 85T, 86T, 96TT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
i did, i have the same issue

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I don't know what you mean by "fuel module".

A fairly typical failure mode of the Z31 ECUs is to not supply volts to the pump at low load (including idle).
Under idle and low load conditions, the ECU directly handles fuel pump current and supplies less than 12V by floating the ground for the pump.
At higher loads the ECU switches in the Fuel Pump Relay to give the fuel pump max available volts. The Fuel Pump Relay is the same relay that provides the ~5 second prime when the key is switched on.

The FSM is hazy on where the bounday between low load and high load exists.

When testing the fuel pump by powering it with, for example, another separate battery, the pump should be completely disconnected from the body harness since you do not want to be putting 12V into the ECU where it does not expect it.

KHGZ31JAMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page