User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
stroker kit

I was wondering if anyone happen to know of a place i can get a stroker kit for my 84 turbo? Ive been looking for a while and can only find stroker kits for the 2nd generations. Ive tryed Brian Crower, but where Im at the site is not able to be accested. I know I can have it custom made. Thanks for giveing me your time.

84' NISSAN 300ZX TURBO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Re: stroker kit

Have you tried Paeco? They make a couple of stroker VG kits. I was looking into using parts from their stroker kit in a VG33 to get a high displacement, high compression, racing-ready NA motor.

----------
1985 300ZX n/a

See my Z project
#3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM

(Thread Starter)

No i havent tryed the place. I didnt know about them google idnt come up with that as a result. Thanks, is the website paeco.com?

84' NISSAN 300ZX TURBO
#4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 AM

http://www.paeco.com/Stroker%20Kits.htm

I am seriously considering having them make a 4.0L/11.5:1CR out of a VG33. The prices are extremely reasonable if you ask me. I'm trying to see right now if they will make a completely custom crank for a VG33 that uses a VG30 A/B single-key snout. If they can, I'm pretty much set on the project.

----------
1985 300ZX n/a

See my Z project
#5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM

(Thread Starter)

That sound really nice let me know how it workes out im very interested in how it comes out. Can I ask you a question about some cams im thinking about putting in my car? They are "S1 BILLET CAMS VG30/33E .440"/260 DEG BILLET FITS. GOOD IDLE, GREAT MID RANGE TORQUE. GOOD ON TURBO OR STREET NORMALLY ASP" or "S2 VG30/33E BILLET CAMS .473"/266 DEG . THIS IS THE BIGGEST CAM THAT CAN PHYSICALLY FIT IN THE HEAD WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS. A LITTLE LOPE A IDLE. SHORT OVERLAP MAKES THIS CAM SET GOOD FOR MID RPM TORQUE N/A ENGINES AS WELL AS TURBO ENGINES". I can't deciede between the two. Id appreciate it very much for some input.

84' NISSAN 300ZX TURBO
#6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:20 PM

The cams you choose are going to be very dependent on your goals w/ the vehicle. Since I don't have a turbo and am trying to get the most power possible, I have to pretty much shoot for the highest RPM possible.

My current cams are 270* deg / .440" lift, LSA 110* from Schneider. So far I've liked them a lot, but I'm looking for a more aggressive grind. I'm going to have custom cams made by Isky, the specs I'm shooting for are 286* deg. and .480" lift with an LSA between 107 and 109*. This would give me a nice large overlap: very lopey, rough idle, no real torque until 3k RPM, but should be able to rev well past 7500 RPM while still making reasonable power.

Just a side note: Those JWT cams you've selected are brand new cams with stock base circles... so when they say "the biggest that will fit w/o modification", they are correct only as long as you keep the base circles at the stock diameter. Isky, Schneider, Colt, and others do regrinds of stock cams. They grind down the base circles a bit in order to get the specs you want, but obviously there are limits and it largely depends on the shape of the cams before they start working on them. However, regrinding stock cams gives you more flexibility and the ability to get an aggressive grind that you simply cant get w/ stock base circles.

Another thing to consider, if you're really trying to do an all-out build for maximum power, is modifying the lifters. SATAN has done a very nice write up on modifying the lifters to make "semi-solid" yet still self-adjusting hydraulic lifters. Doing this allows you to go with a much more radical cam lobe profile that you just can't use w/ stock hydraulic lifters. Look either at 88hybrid.com or z31performance.com for his writeup on the lifters.

----------
1985 300ZX n/a

See my Z project
#7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for your help, ill keep u updated on my project id also like it it you could keep me updated as well on your project. It sounds really interesting. If i have anymore questions Ill ask u first. Thanks

84' NISSAN 300ZX TURBO
#8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:32 AM

An easy rule of thumb for cams is that more duration = higher RPM power and a lower duration cam with higher lift makes more low and midrange power.

I'm a high lift, short duration guy myself, but I ran a 286 duration .510 lift camshaft in the 351M in my bronco and had loads of fun burning civics and turbo's SAABs all day long.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:46 AM

Problem comes when comparing push-rod style valvetrain as in the Ford 351M to hydraulic, flat-tappet style valvetrain in the VG. Cam lobe profiles are radically different between the two styles of valvetrain, as the components have different wear requirements, and different lobe shapes to open/close the valves in a different manner.

For example, your description of 286duration and .510" lift would be a pretty radical cam for a VG... far more radical than most will ever need to use. The stock Z31 cams are 252 duration and .393" lift until 1987, and then 248 duration and .393" lift from 1987 onward. I believe the truck version of the VG used a 242 duration cam with a .385" lift, which gave it more low-end torque but choked the engine entirely by 5,500RPM.

----------
1985 300ZX n/a

See my Z project
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page