User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
new cowl panel

Finally got my car back from the panel shop (in having chassis work done) now its time to strip the paint and get it primed ready for the final panel work and paint, and while stripping the paint from the cowl panel i found it was fill of bog, i know my panel man can repair it but it would probably be easier to buy a new one.
So does anyone know if these are still availible from japan? the cars an 83 fairlady.

Cheers Jeremy

83 Fairlady 2 seater, Koni suspension, Trust turbo manifold and Garrett GT ballbearing turbo, Trust intercooler, Trust EGT & boost gauges, Apexi intake, Trust turbo timer and oil catch tank.
89 Fairlady
90 GTiR, with to many mods for a daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
83 Fairlady?

Does that cowl even remove?
Then again, by cowl do you mean aft of the bonnet, below the windscreen, between the wings...
That's what us colonials call a cowl, and I think it's pieced with the unitbody. If it is removable, it's probably still available. The piece I described is slightly corroded on mine (78 Fairlady S130), and probably in need of some attention as well. Common rust spot on these vehicles!

Careful, my english is a bit rusty....LOL

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: new cowl panel

Yeah thats the panel, it would need to be cut then the new one welded in and was listed in the MSA catalog, might just have to go into Nissan and see if they can get them.
Mines fill of holes from one side to the other, only noticed it now that the windscreen has been removed.
Cheers for the quick response Tony

83 Fairlady 2 seater, Koni suspension, Trust turbo manifold and Garrett GT ballbearing turbo, Trust intercooler, Trust EGT & boost gauges, Apexi intake, Trust turbo timer and oil catch tank.
89 Fairlady

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Yeah....

mine had "little" bubbles under the paint.
For a car that's has spent almost all it's years (since Sept 79) in the Nnand Southern California Area, there sure a lot of wierd rust spots on it!

For sure, though, that's a cut-n-weld proposition. If you cut it, may as well do it up right!
I can't figure why one car I see is pristine, and another is totally rusted in that area...

Of course, mine needs work, so I will probably be sacrificing another for it's resurrection---though being RHD, it is different than the common parts I can get here in the USA.... (wipers in different position). Keep that in mind when considering MSA repair panels!

Replacable panels like the early cars would make this such a nice proposition. BAH!

Good Luck with the repair. You know how it goes, start here, find some there, then there then there.......LOL! At some point you just call an end to it so you can drive it again. LOL

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: new cowl panel

Yeah i know what your saying, i had the car in the panel shop fro 2 years just to get the chassis rails done (cash jobs always get left till last).
But its completely bare at the moment and im removing all the paint so we should be able to get all the rust this time round. And theres no way ill find another 2 seater fairlady over here, i havent seen another for sale since i brought mine 3 years ago.
The wipers was what made me realise ill need to get one out of japan.
and after all this time im dieing to drive it again, but im sure its going to be another 2 years because i cant keep away from those hi performance japanese companys *sigh* bring on the Trust intercooler .......LOL

actually i should update my webpage now that i have my Koni coil overs in and engine half built.

Later Jeremy

89 Fairlady
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page