ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleaning piston tops

432 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  fri71240 
#1 ·
I have a spare F-54 that I rebuilt and bored 0.40 new pistons (dished). Everything internally balanced. I did this 5 years ago, I put 10,000 miles on it. I Pulled
it out because my Z was rearended totaled. I have since then done a ground up
restoration on another 240Z. and this motor is a spare. The Piston tops are filthy
what is the best way to clean them without a complete tear down, and without getting trash down in cylinder walls. Thankx

#2 ·
I did this once on a Chevy Cavalier engine. Used a 3-M plastic paint stripping wheel, the kind that looks like a real coarse Brillo pad mounted on a 1/4" shank. Chucked it up in an electric drill and lightly ran it over the piston tops. Worked like a charm and didn't hurt the surface. A shop vac removed the residue from the cylinders after the job was done. Those wheels are kinda expensive, (8.00 or so) but worth it IMO.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

#3 ·
I have one of those wheels that I use for other stuff, I'll give it a shot. Someone
once mentioned taking thick kite string soaking the string in oil and then pushing
it right below the top of the piston in between the cylinder wall and piston. The
soaked string supposedly would catch any dirt trash, ever heard of this.?

#4 ·
That would probably work. The vacuum I used didn't leave any visible traces of dirt, though. And when the engine was fired up there was no indication of any problem. It ran for another couple of years until my daughter let it run out of oil. :( If you use the string, you would probably be better off running each piston to the tdc position before using the wheel. That would leave a minimum of the cylinder wall exposed.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

#5 ·
I will try all of the for-mentioned steps. My younger sister-in-law did the same
thing, never checked the oil, never changed it, good bye motor. Thankx for the tips
roadman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.