what happens when PCV seizes - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
what happens when PCV seizes

what happens when a PCV valve goes bad and seizes shut? how exactly does the engine act? is it very sluggish with bad popping coming from the airbox? i have an 83ZXT and the PCV valve has never been replaced... after sitting for a few weeks its my theory that buildup and varnish etc caused it to stick shut and now my car runs REAL bad... any thoughts?

thx

83ZXT <[=THE BLACK HOLE=]> intercooled@15psi, GReddy Man boost cont., GReddy Type S BOV, centerforce DF clutch, Blitz FATT DCII turbo timer, Cold air intake, Electric fan, andother than glass tint a100% stock exterior |-Sleeper-|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 11:25 PM

Re: what happens when PCV seizes

thats a 3$ 5 minute question... I can't see it causing any problems in an N/A but it may affect the turbo???? i am not sure i never let mine get that way...

they are about 3$ and take 5 minute max to replace

go for it
#3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 11:54 PM

Have you....

made sure that it isn't working right? If you remove the ventilaton hose while your Z is idling, you should hear a hissing noise and feel a strong vacuum when your finger tip is placed over the valve inlet.

Donna

83NA ZX to ZXT 3.1 Stroker Turbo TEC3 TWM ITB 740cc, 3.7 LSD 5sp. Stock? What's that???
70 stock original, matching numbered
71 2.8 44 mukini's, 3.9, 5spd
73 SCCA/VARA/NCRC Race car. Robello, race prep'd 2.4, 44 mukini's, R190 4.44LSD, 5sp, 2065lbs. L
#4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:26 AM

That PCV Valve is a sucker...

Yes...
Very rough idle...
and some power loss...

I'd pull it off, and shake it... if it rattles around un-restricted... then its ok (but it wont if its never been replaced)...

I'd just get a new one, and pop it on there if you think its bad...

it really is $3.00 and 5 minutes...

Yeah, if you pull it off and stick your finger over the hole then it will suck on your finger pretty hard cuz there is like a 1.25 inch hole in the intake manifold for the pcv valve.

just replace it, its supposed to be part of the regular mantenance every 7,000 miles (every other oil change).

ok
-will
79 280zx
#5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:56 PM

(Thread Starter)
Re: That PCV Valve is a sucker...

well see, the thing is, my father broke the old hose while trying to take it off so that we could replace it, so we have to wait on a replacement hose to be found or made.... however, with the old valve still on the car and that hose unhooked, it made no apparent difference in how the engine sounded at idle and while being throttled at standstill (did not move the car)..... should it have made a difference? i did buy a new PCV valve but a **** mechanic has the car 2 hours away so i cant put it on myself to save money... and he has had the car for 3 weeks and still hasnt done anything... btw, for those of you who look at my history of posts, you'll notice that my car has been out of service since it was backed over on january 10... we are still trying to find whats wrong wtih the engine. the PCV theory was just a guess ....but we are trying to see if it works
thx

83ZXT <[=THE BLACK HOLE=]> intercooled@15psi, GReddy Man boost cont., GReddy Type S BOV, centerforce DF clutch, Blitz FATT DCII turbo timer, Cold air intake, Electric fan, andother than glass tint a100% stock exterior |-Sleeper-|
#6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:23 PM

Welp, I dont think so... I think it'd still idle.
The diagnosis for a bad PCV on an otherwise healthy car is supposed to be rough idle.

as for the hose - here is what I did :
I got a peice of 3/4 inch heater hose, and I used an exacto knife to cut the inner edge where the PCV hose is supposed to go over the fitting, I used some WD-40 on the outside of the fitting to get it to slip on easier, and WD-40 will evaporate after a while. I then secured it with a hose clamp on the block end. And I just slid the other, open end onto the PCV and put a hose clamp on that. Voila! New PCV hose.

As for the mechanic... I hope you tried to figure out what was wrong with it before you took it to him.

I have a hard time justifing spending money with out results.

sorry to hear that its still not running tho.

-will
79 280zx
... as long as that PCV valve is in there to stop the vacuum leak, then you probably wouldnt notice much of a difference under throttle.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:57 PM

(Thread Starter)

maybe i'm wrong, but with that hose unhooked, isnt that a substantial vaccum leak? coz that air being sucked through that hose is going through the hose in the valve cover into the rubber air duct after the AFM... and that means that there is unmetered air entering the engine right? so i dont even understand exactly why i noticed no difference with the pcv hose undone... in my mind wouldnt it be essentially the same as removing the oil cap?

#8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 04:35 PM

it wouldnt be sucking in air thru the manifold because the valve is most likely blocked. Though the crank case would have air being pulled into it because of the lack of the hose. the crank case doesnt really have an effect on the combustion chamber though, at least i dont think it does. The PCV hose doesnt connect at all to the Valve cover, its from the block to the underside of the intake manifold.

1982 Datsun 280zx Turbo 2+2 with T-tops
1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page