Tools for valve adjustment - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2001, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tools for valve adjustment

I have a 74 260 and will I need any special tools to adjust the valves?

Should I do anything else besides install a new valve cover gasket while I have the cover off/

Thanks, Steve
steve260 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2001, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tools for valve adjustment

My Haynes manual lists a "special adapter Datsun tool # ST10640001" for "correct torquing of the rocker pivot locknut" I'm not sure how crucial exact torque specs are on this locknut, but I have never used this tool. As I recall, you will need a 14mm and 17mm wrench, and a feeler gauge.. that's about it.. As for anything else, you can clean up and inspect your cam, and check out your timing chain tension while you have the cover off..

Later!
~Scott
Scott83ZX is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2001, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

adjusy the valres the normal way according tothe Haynes book. Then remove the dist cap aftermarking alll the firing points. Then adjust the valves using the actual firing point. Use a 3/8" wide feeler gauge on the small end (lash cap side) and use 1.5 times the valve lash that is called for on the lobe side. Adjustment is the same but much more accurett.1 to 4 more horseoower.

w
weldon corbitte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2001, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Motorsport Auto has this tool for $44.95. Look on page 36 in the latest Motorsport Catalog. Scott Bruning, at Ztherapy.com made one by using a socket and an open- end wrench ( I believe the open-end is 17mm). He used a torch to cut, make the proper bends and weld. He talks about and shows it in his first SU Carbs. video. I also made one in a short welding class that I took about 3 years ago, but have not used it yet, but I will fairly soon. If you have access to a welding torch, you can make one by looking at the picture on page 36. I am not sure if it is covered in the second/most recent version. Good Luck, Ernest
Old 08-28-2001, 02:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default 17 mm bent wrench tool...

extremely helpful. Believe MSA sells Snap-on tool for this... if you can find local Snap-on man... Not impossible w/ normal 17mm open end, but a lot sketchier due to poor access angle.

Recommend remote starter button and two feeler sets one open to .012 & .013 for exh & other open to .010 & .011 for intake... Go/no-go thing with tight lock-nut. Very accurate. (Be sure to deburr leading edge of feeler w/ #600 emery to avoid scratching cam lobe. Bump engine over w/ button & adjust when lobe is pointing close to straight up. Then no need to watch for timing mark. Best to set valves hot, but hard to do until you get used to it. Start first time w/ engine warm. Once you get 'em close & get used to procedure, whole thing is 30-45 minute job. Takes a bit of getting used to how much tightening lock-nut changes the gap.

Interesting comment about gapping at top of valve stem. Never heard o that before.

------ Al
Al 260Z is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.