ZCar Forum banner

WeatherStripping and Seals

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Echutton 
#1 ·
Hello Friends :) I am back with the 280z for now.

As none of you probably know, I had the car entirely fixed and in the garage for the winter. It has now been transported to the paint booth. Upon inspection, I have decided to replace ALL the seals and weatherstripping while the car is apart.

So far, I've found this thread for door stripping: http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/114286-weatherstripping-solved.html

And this link for the hatch: https://www.1aauto.com/datsun-240z-...Nqq6GJK0DTYtkwIlR3hV4mMQDLLF-PkercaAsyL8P8HAQ

Does anyone know where I can find the other pieces? I need the seals for the glass, tail light seals, and such. I think it should be much cheaper to buy everything separate rather than spend $450 on zdepot to get the kit.

Wish me luck, and thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
man, too little too late, bud. its too bad black dragon auto closed its doors on the Z community... when my 280z was restored, almost every single piece of rubber seal(s) was purchased from them.

Z car source of AZ may have some stuff, but they are a bit expensive.

best of luck no your project.

Bon

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Alright so sap post. I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I hope the guys who are listed (and everyone for that matter) reads this.

-I want to give a HUGE THANKS to everyone that has helped me since I bought this car. I know you guys don't have a ton of background on me, but when I purchased this car, it was my 3rd car. I had a twin turbo 300zx, then I traded in for a college car, and I bought this the summer before I started school as my project (along with working full time). Needless to say, dumb idea for a 17 year old kid.

You guys were more than welcome to accept me into your arms. I knew very little about what the heck I was doing, about cars in general. All I knew is that I liked them, and I was willing to learn. I had barely done anything besides oil and brakes, watching my dad do things. Needless to say, I am very very happy I bought the car. I'd like to say that I've come a long way. I've read every forum post and reply for the last year, spent free time roaming and reading, and most importantly, know the FSM word for word, cover to cover. Please keep in mind, I did all the work on this car (99%) in my grandmothers yard, alone. Where it sat. A little bit was accomplished in the driveway, and even smaller amounts in her garage. It is now in a professional paintbooth.

Today is May 26th 2017. I purchased this car July 6th 2016. So I am nearing the one year anniversary of purchase, and I fully intend to finish this thing by that date.

Included below will be pictures of my progress, starting with when I first got it, and finishing with pictures I took today. As a bonus, you'll get to see the project 300zx AE Turbo I bought. The car will more than likely be up for sale soon, as I can't handle the project.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks to everyone here for supporting me and helping me accomplish this.

Special thanks to:
PDX: You're like my forum father. You punish me for not reading the FSM thoroughly enough, but are always lurking and here when I need you.
Bon: You've helped me out in a pinch several times, and know great deals of knowledge about these cars.
Mario: Sorry I can't remember your forum name, but you are a savior for selling me the ECU that fixed my car.
Dave M: Again, like PDX, you two helped me through some tough times with the car.
I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting, but just pretend like I wrote something nice about you too.

Pics:

Pre Purchase

Post Purchase, Pre Working On It

The Rest Of The Pics

Today

Bonus AE Pics From When I Purchased It (NO THAT ISNT ME)

Double Bonus: Why I'm Selling The 300zx To Clear Cash:

It's not a Z but it's not that bad. Lol

Once again, HUGE THANKS to everyone on this forum! The car would probably still be sitting where I bought it if it wasn't for you guys, and I probably wouldn't be the one everyone asks to work on their cars now. Lol.

If you guys want a price figure on what I've spent on the car, I'd rather not talk about it :cry:grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.