why one over the other? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
why one over the other?

hi guys...I am new to the forum...I currently have a 2014 370z nismo which I love but I am also really into old cars as well and would like something different then others in my town have...which is why I chose the 370...anyways I was familiarizing myself a little today with the 240z and 280z...I guess a couple of my questions are... why choose one over the other? Is one better for whatever reason? Is one easier to find then the other? I have found that it seems the 240 is of more value? what am I missing if I go with a 280 over a 240? I was all fine with just going with a 280 until I started snooping around and seen that the 240 was the original Z so when it comes to being even a little bit different then others I like the rarity of one versus the other even more


What I want out of this is...I am looking to make a little Japanese hot rod...nothing super extreme some body mods and some engine mods nothing show room worthy just a fun little car to work on and also let others enjoy seeing...so in the end... pleasing to the eyes and ears lol


im not sure I know where to even begin looking for ones for sale? I guess its just as simple as keeping up with craigslist and hoping for the best? I would like to start with one as stock as possible and doesn't need a complete restore on it...but if that isn't attainable I guess I can't be to picky


but again back to my original question...what makes one better then the other? if anything at all thanks so much everyone and I hope to enjoy the website
iidylii is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
if I have posted in the wrong section I hope it may be able to just be moved thanks again
iidylii is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana/Kentucky
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I would think this to be the right section. To be honest, its all about preference. The 240 and 280 are nearly identical twins with slight differences. The 280z has bigger bumpers, that can be removed and replaced with 240z bumpers (or shaved). The 240z comes with a carb'd 2.4L engine, while the 280z has a slightly more powerful 2.8L fuel injected engine. I personally love both, but if you're on a budget, or not mechanically inclined, the 280z is probably better. Easy to work on, diagnose, will run forever. The biggest factor is finding one with little to no rust.

There's not a whole lot of differences, and I don't think anyone will scold you one way or the other. They're both great cars. The 240z is a little more expensive, the 280z is a bit more advanced.

Southern Indiana

1996 Z32 300zx Twin Turbo - SOLD!
1977 280z
1984 AE 300zx Turbo

Last edited by Echutton; 04-15-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Echutton is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echutton View Post
I would think this to be the right section. To be honest, its all about preference. The 240 and 280 are nearly identical twins with slight differences. The 280z has bigger bumpers, that can be removed and replaced with 240z bumpers (or shaved). The 240z comes with a carb'd 2.4L engine, while the 280z has a slightly more powerful 2.8L fuel injected engine. I personally love both, but if you're on a budget, or not mechanically inclined, the 280z is probably better. Easy to work on, diagnose, will run forever. The biggest factor is finding one with little to no rust.

There's not a whole lot of differences, and I don't think anyone will scold you one way or the other. They're both great cars. The 240z is a little more expensive, the 280z is a bit more advanced.
Thanks a bunch...I'm learning more and more with everything I've been reading...can't wait to hopefully one day find one in decent condition!
iidylii is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
beg3yrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tucson, Arizona USA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Another difference is the 280's body is beefed up a bit to make it more crash-worthy. The frame rails are larger and the struts and their towers are bigger too. IIRC the 240 doesn't have a rear sway bar (showed up on the 260 and on). Interior is different as well. Most noticeably the dash controls layout changed quite a bit. Door arm rests are different too. On the front, the turn signals were moved from the cheeks on the 240 to the grill on the 280 (started with the 260).

Overall I agree with Echutton. The highest value 240s are going to be cars as close to original as possible and in excellent condition. 1970, the first year will be the highest (although a nice 1972 just sold on bringatrailer.com for over $21,000). It seems if you just want a car you can play with, show off and drive for some fun, the 280 would be preferred choice.

Scott
Tucson, Arizona

9/74 260Z VIN RLS30 060061
Restored!
beg3yrs is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg3yrs View Post
Another difference is the 280's body is beefed up a bit to make it more crash-worthy. The frame rails are larger and the struts and their towers are bigger too. IIRC the 240 doesn't have a rear sway bar (showed up on the 260 and on). Interior is different as well. Most noticeably the dash controls layout changed quite a bit. Door arm rests are different too. On the front, the turn signals were moved from the cheeks on the 240 to the grill on the 280 (started with the 260).

Overall I agree with Echutton. The highest value 240s are going to be cars as close to original as possible and in excellent condition. 1970, the first year will be the highest (although a nice 1972 just sold on bringatrailer.com for over $21,000). It seems if you just want a car you can play with, show off and drive for some fun, the 280 would be preferred choice.
Thanks for the details! And yeah I agree if it's just something to have fun in there is no sense snatching up something that I'm probably not going to take to its potential
iidylii is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Another 2 cents: 240s are more pricey because they are the original Z car. (If you own a 280Z, 9 out of every 10 people will ask you "Is that a 240Z?") Plus the 240s are a few hundred pounds lighter than a 280, which a lot of people think means they can be made to go faster. Plus, let's face it, there is some indefinable but undeniable attraction to a dual-carb sports car. Plus - hey, don't discount that motor. The L-24 engine in primo tune is a screaming son of a gun. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
6shutr is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
there is a 77 280z 30 miles from me sitting in a guys yard and is for sale he says there is minor rust and it starts and goes into gear but hasn't actually been driven in 15 years...I'm really not a body man so i dont know how much rust is to much rust and what is repairable...also not sure on how bad an engine needs to be to not be considered a waste of time...anyone have any pointers what is doable and what is just a waste of time with some or all of these issues? He wants $500 for it because he has no use for it...for that price it almost doesn't matter about the little rust and whatever else might be wrong does it?


.I do have a few really close friends who are "mechanics" maybe not Datsun knowledge but never the less they know there stuff...also have a friend who is a body shop guy...both of these guys will be with me when we look at the car...I'm not super concerned with the money part...I don't intend on getting it to show quality just some body mods some nice fresh paint, aggressive rims and some relatively simple engine mods...if it takes a couple few years I'm ok with that...always have the other Z to drive lol

And thanks again for your input

And again like I said i dont know exactly what issue causes a car to be to far gone without getting in way over your head but that's why I'm bringing some knowledge with me when I go look

Edit: and I guess i dont know what getting in over someone's head means exactly...I don't mind putting $5k into it if that's what it might take...I was just shooting out a number in the dark there so I don't know if that's high low or pretty close to what it might cost to make it respectable but again any info about any of this from you guys helps out tremendously and I really appreciate the knowledge from u
iidylii is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana/Kentucky
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidylii View Post
there is a 77 280z 30 miles from me sitting in a guys yard and is for sale he says there is minor rust and it starts and goes into gear but hasn't actually been driven in 15 years...I'm really not a body man so i dont know how much rust is to much rust and what is repairable...also not sure on how bad an engine needs to be to not be considered a waste of time...anyone have any pointers what is doable and what is just a waste of time with some or all of these issues? He wants $500 for it because he has no use for it...for that price it almost doesn't matter about the little rust and whatever else might be wrong does it?


.I do have a few really close friends who are "mechanics" maybe not Datsun knowledge but never the less they know there stuff...also have a friend who is a body shop guy...both of these guys will be with me when we look at the car...I'm not super concerned with the money part...I don't intend on getting it to show quality just some body mods some nice fresh paint, aggressive rims and some relatively simple engine mods...if it takes a couple few years I'm ok with that...always have the other Z to drive lol

And thanks again for your input

And again like I said i dont know exactly what issue causes a car to be to far gone without getting in way over your head but that's why I'm bringing some knowledge with me when I go look

Edit: and I guess i dont know what getting in over someone's head means exactly...I don't mind putting $5k into it if that's what it might take...I was just shooting out a number in the dark there so I don't know if that's high low or pretty close to what it might cost to make it respectable but again any info about any of this from you guys helps out tremendously and I really appreciate the knowledge from u
Might help to throw us some pictures. Rust is the big factor here, with our help there isn't anything within the motor section you can't fix alone. They aren't complex cars. Where are you from? Location is a big factor with these cars. I'm in Indiana and picked my 280z with some parts removed, bad paint, a non-running motor car with no rust for $1200. You can pick up an engine for one of these cars, harness and all for a cheap price. The body is the concern for sure.

Southern Indiana

1996 Z32 300zx Twin Turbo - SOLD!
1977 280z
1984 AE 300zx Turbo
Echutton is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I am from Minnesota lol yes I know that's already a warning sign for rust lol...these are the only pics I have from the guy...doesn't show any real detail but at the same time from what is shown I don't see any holes...and as far as I can tell the chrome bumpers seem cleanish and that seems to me a good start for a rust area? Anyways don't be alarmed by the color i dont know what the **** happened there lmao
Attached Images
File Type: png image_1492364552099.png (2.70 MB, 96 views)
File Type: png image_1492364569555.png (2.35 MB, 81 views)
File Type: png image_1492364586733.png (2.67 MB, 66 views)
File Type: png image_1492364603734.png (2.75 MB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg image_1492364644632.jpg (29.5 KB, 16 views)
iidylii is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1